J-1 Scholars

The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is to promote international educational and cultural exchange that helps to develop mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries. The U.S. Department of State administers the Exchange Visitor Program and assigns certain cultural and educational institutions, such as Binghamton University, as sponsors to administer its programs.

If you are a scholar who would like to come to Binghamton University in J-1 status, you must have a Binghamton University faculty member who agrees to sponsor you. All requests for DS-2019s must be submitted to ISSS by the sponsoring department. Please visit the Binghamton University homepage for information about all of our academic departments. 

If you are a Binghamton University faculty or staff member and you wish to invite a J-1 scholar, please review the information and instructions for the DS-2019 request form on the J-1 Scholar Request page. If you have additional questions about inviting a J-1 scholar, you can email isss@binghamton.edu.

Before You Arrive

When You Arrive

Maintaining J-1 Status

Health Insurance


Incidental Employment

J-1 Scholar Request – For Binghamton Faculty/Staff Use

J-1 Student Intern Request – For Binghamton Faculty/Staff Use