Rules For Maintaining Valid Status

For F-1 And J-1 Students

  • Keep your passport valid at all times
  • Within ten days of moving, report any change of address to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). This address change is then reported by the ISSS to the federal immigration authorities.
  • Attend the school that you are authorized to attend, as indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019
  • Maintain registration each semester until graduation or transfer to a new school
  • Pursue a full-time course of study
  • Obtain prior authorization from the ISSS BEFORE dropping below a full course of study. The very limited exceptions to the full-time course rule are:
      • Academic difficulty
      • Medical Condition
      • Completion of course of study in the current term
  • Follow required procedures for:
      • moving from one educational level to another (e.g., Master's to PhD)
      • transferring from one U.S. school to another
      • filing a timely application for program extension
  • Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week when school is in session. (Students in J-1 status must have the written permission of their sponsoring agency before beginning any employment on or off campus.)
  • Refrain from off-campus employment without authorization
  • Possess proof of health and accident insurance that includes a medical evacuation and repatriation benefit (either the SUNY mandatory policy or an approved comparable policy). Students in J-1 status must also show proof of health and accident insurance for all dependents in J-2 status.

Last Updated: 8/28/14