Student Identification Number, Social Security Number and BU ID Card

Binghamton University uses a student data system called Banner, which is available through “BU Brain”. The BU Brain is the University system that provides access to your Registration, Financial Aid, and Student Accounts.

All students admitted to Binghamton University are assigned an identification (ID) number, also called a “B-Number”. This is not a Social Security number. Follow log in instructions sent to you by the Undergraduate Admissions Office (if you are an undergraduate) or The Graduate School (if you are a graduate student) to log into the system.

For more information about how to use Banner and the BU Brain, please see the following link:

Social Security Number

New international students in F-1 or J-1 visa status are eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) if they have an on-campus job offer.

If you do not have an on-campus job offer you will be able to apply for a Letter of Ineligibility.

We will provide information on where to apply for either a Social Security Number or a Letter of Ineligibility at Orientation.

  • Reporting your Social Security Number

Students who are eligible to apply for an SSN will receive a Social Security card from the U.S. Social Security Administration. Once the Social Security Number has been issued to you, you will need to report that number to:

  1. Your bank
  2. Your employer
  3. Student Records Office at Binghamton University. When you go to the Office (Student Wing Room 119), you will request a SSN Change Form. This requires a passport and your new SSN card for processing. You will not need to get a new BU ID card. Once you have informed these offices of your SSN, be sure to keep your SSN in a secure place. Never carry your SSN in your wallet. SSNs are federal identity documents. If your SSN is stolen you are at risk of identity theft. For more information about identity theft go to

Binghamton University ID Card

To arrange for your new BU Student ID card, go to the Student Records Office, SW-119 in the Student Wing of the Lecture Hall. You will use the same card for the duration of your academic studies at Binghamton University. Your BU student ID card does not expire. Lost, stolen, mutilated and demagnetized ID cards can be replaced. However, there is a $2000 charge for a replacement card. The card does not list your date of birth therefore it cannot be used for certain identification purposes.

The student records office is open daily during the summer and winter from 9am – 4pm and from 9:30am to 5pm during the semester (Fall and Spring) for ID cards.

Last Updated: 8/28/14