Your Income Tax filing responsibilities if you had NO US income
during Tax Year 2013

Many international students wonder if they need to be concerned about filing U.S. income tax forms if they were in the United States during calendar year 2013 in F-1 or J-1 status but earned no U.S. income.

International students in F or J status for 5 years or less (since 2009 or later) and their dependents, file tax forms as non-residents. Research scholars or faculty in J-1 status for 2 years or less (since 2012 or later) also file as non-residents. If you did not earn any U.S. income during 2013 other than bank or credit union interest, then you need only file form 8843, Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition. The purpose of the 8843 is to verify that the non-resident qualifies to exempt days of presence, and thus shields the non-resident from being taxed as a resident. Being taxed as a U.S. resident allows the IRS to tax your world-wide income.

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) strongly recommends that you use Glacier Tax Prep, the free income tax preparation software that is made available to Binghamton University international students and scholars, to take care of their filing obligations.

If you have not yet requested a Glacier Tax Prep access code, go to this link for full instructions:

Here are the Glacier Tax Prep instructions explaining what you need to know about income tax filing if you had no U.S. income during calendar year 2013.
:Follow this link

Last Updated: 8/28/14