Brian Wall completed his PhD at the University of Western Ontario, reading Samuel Beckett's plays for radio, television and film through Theodor Adorno's dialectic of the modernist work of art and the culture industry.
His primary research areas include critical theory-particularly that of Adorno and Benjamin-and the historical avant garde (in a variety of media); and his current project entails tracing the many ways in which spirit and junk come to be allegorized, represented and embodied in film.
He has published articles on Beckett, Bataille, The Big Lebowski and Buffy, among others.
- BA, MA, University of Saskatchewan
- PhD, University of Western Ontario
- Critical theory, particularly that of Adorno and Benjamin and the historical avant garde
- film noir
- German Expressionism and Weimar cinema
- psychoanalysis and phenomenology