EMPLOYER TREKS: Jan 6 – 10, 2020
The New York City CONNECT Employer Treks (formerly called Employer Site Visits) are open to all students interested in exploring a variety of careers and industries. Designed for networking and career education, the on-site visits offer exposure to select career paths, industry trends, and organizational cultures. These visits also highlight industry expectations and give you a chance to expand your network.
Mandatory Information Sessions
You must attend ONE information session Oct. 21-Nov. 7 (in-person OR complete our online session) to be eligible to apply to the NYC Employer Treks.
View information session details below.
How to Register for Employer Treks
You must complete and update your hireBING profile prior to registering for any employer visits. Registration opens Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019.
- Login to hireBING
- On the top of the page, click "Jobs"
- Search for "NYC Employer Treks" in left side keyword box
- Click on "NYC Employer Treks"
- The list of Employer Treks will appear as Jobs on this screen
- Click on the name of the trek you wish to find more information about or apply to
- Click on green "Apply Now" button at the top right of the page Note: If you do not meet the employer qualifications, you will receive an alert that informs you that you do not, however your application will still go through.
You must attend any one of the following information sessions OR complete our online information session in order to be eligible to apply to NYC Employer Treks.
In Person Information Sessions (note the various locations):
- Monday, Oct. 21, Noon – UU-111
- Monday, Oct. 21, 5 p.m. – UU-120
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, Noon – UU-111
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, 5 p.m. – UU-120
- Wednesday, Nov. 6, Noon – UU-W324
- Thursday, Nov. 7, 5 p.m. – UU-120
Online/Virtual Information Session
Students are welcome to complete our online virtual information session to be eligible to attend the NYC Connect Treks.
Deadline to complete the online information session is Thursday, Nov. 7 at 11:59 p.m.
Complete online information session hereOnline information session instructions:
- Click the link above to access the online information session
- Login to Panopto using your PODS credentials.
- Watch the video and answer all questions embedded in the video. **You must receive a score of 100% on the quizzes to be eligible to apply for the NYC Employer Treks. You can retake the quizzes for any answers you got incorrect.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
**All students interested in attending Employer Treks in NYC must attend an information session listed above even if you have previously attended Employer Site Visits in NYC, Boston, Washington, D.C. or Silicon Valley.
NYC 2020 Student Agreement
1. Download the mandatory NYC CONNECT 2020 Student agreement form here: Mandatory NYC CONNECT 2020 Student Agreemt
2. Complete the agreement electronically and save the document onto your computer.
3. Upload your completed document as an "Other" document to your hireBING account.
4. Attach the completed document to EVERY Employer Trek you are applying to, along with a copy of your resume.
If you have any quesitons about the student agreement, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Immediately – Update resume and complete the Mandatory NYC CONNECT 2020 Student Agreement (found above). Upload agreement to your hireBING account.
Sunday, Nov. 10 – Applications for NYC Treks opens
Sunday, Nov. 24 – NYC Trek Applications close
Wednesday, Dec. 4 – Students will receive email confirmations of employer treks they have been accepted to
Thursday, Dec. 19 – Deadline to cancel any employer treks
Jan. 6-10 – NYC Employer Treks
Tuesday, Jan. 7 – Networking Night
- Do's and Don'ts During Your Employer Visits
- Take notes
- Display enthusiasm and appreciation
- Write down names of the professionals
- Dress professionally - Suits Only
- Bring your resume and portfolio - you may or may not hand it out but best to be prepared
- Research the firm you are attending
- Prepare well thought out questions
- Give yourself enough travel time (buses, trains are unreliable)
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to the visit
- Meet the group in the lobby
- Bring your photo ID
- Write down the address and cross streets
- Stand out and make the most of these opportunities
- Ask for contact information if the opportunity arises, we do not provide contact information unless the hosts states you can get it from us
- Give yourself at least an hour between visits to travel to the next one
- Leave the visit with the entire group
- IMPORTANT - Check your hireBING profile to make sure it is accurate. Your hireBING profile will shift and it may not be accurate. You can manually change it.
- Use professional etiquette at all times
- Wait until the end to ask a question
- Wait until the end to engage with professionals
- Be late
- Be distracting in any manner (play on your phone, fall sleep, etc.)
- Go up to the visit without a staff member
- Ask for a job and or internship - unless they discuss open positions during the visit
- You may ask the type of skills and or qualifications they look for in a candidate, or what makes someone successful at this company
- Stay longer than the allotted time. Professionals need to get back to work and we do not want to overstay our welcome
- Sign up for two conflicting visits at the same time on the same day. You need to manage your own schedule