Zhiyong (Tom) Xu's research interests are in Interdisciplinary areas of materials chemistry, electrochemistry, energy storage, and nanotechnology, focusing on the design, synthesis, characterization, and application of energy storage materials to meet the needs of energy transition from conventional fossil fuels (such as coal and oil) to renewable energy sources (such as solar and wind).
- BS, Hunan University
- PhD, Michigan Technological University
- Physical chemistry
- Materials chemistry
- Energy storage Materials
- Battery and capacitor
- Power electronics materials
- Printable electronics
- 3D printing materials
- Packaging materials
- Hydrogen storage materials
- Artificial Intelligence
- Renewable energy management
Recent Selected Publications
- GT. Caneba, Z. Xu, YL Dar, “Free-Radical Retrograde-Precipitation Copolymerization of Vinyl Acetate and Acrylic Acid,” JOURNAL OF APPLIED POLYMER SCIENCE, 113, 3872-3882, 2009.
- Z. Xu, J. Hwang, B. Li, X. Huang and H. Wang, “The Characterization of Various ZnO Nanostructures Using Field Emission SEM,” JOM, 29-32, April, 2008. Cover Highlight.
- Z. Xu, H. Wang and J. Hwang, “Complex carbon nanotube superstructures synthesized with natural mineral catalysts,” Carbon, 45, 873-879, 2007.
- B. Li, J.Y. Hwang, Z. Xu, “Interplanar Spacing and Expandability of Micron-sized Vermiculite”, TMS Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, March, 2007.
- B. Li, Z. Xu, J.Y. Hwang, “Effect of Particle Size and Exfoliation to Cation Exchange Capacity of Copper in Vermiculite”, TMS Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, March, 2007.
- H. Wang, Z. Xu and G. Eres, “Order in vertically aligned carbon nanotube arrays,” Applied Physics Letters, 88, 213111-3, 2006.
- J.Y. Hwang, X. Huang and Z. Xu, “Recovery of Metals from Aluminum Dross and Saltcake”, Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, V. 5, No. 1, pp. 47-62, 2006.
- B. Li, J.Y. Hwang, A.M. Hein and Z. Xu, “Phase Transformation of Andalusite and Its Impacts on Refractory Brick Reinforcement”, EPD Congress 2006, edited by S.M. Howard et al, TMS Publications, pp. 295-302, 2006.
- J. Hwang, S. Shi, Z. Xu, and K. W. Peterson, “Synthesis of monodispersed iron oxide particles by a large-scale microwave Reactor,” Chem. Eng. Comm., 193, 1586-1591, 2006.
- H. Wang, G. T. Christopherson, Z. Xu, L. Porcar, D. H. Ho, D. Fry, and E. K. Hobbie, “Shear-SANS study of single-walled carbon nanotube suspensions,” Chemical Physics Letters 416, 182-186, 2005.