Debra Gates joined Binghamton University's Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences in 2021 as a clinical assistant professor.
An accomplished nursing professor and advanced practice clinician, she has combined roles in teaching and clinical practice for the last 15 years. Prior to Decker College, Gates worked at Keuka College (Keuka Park, N.Y.) where she taught in the undergraduate and graduate programs and served as chair of the nursing division for six years. She has also served, and continues to serve, as a team site visitor for the Commission on Nursing Education (CCNE).
As a clinician, Gates has had clinical roles in critical and emergency care, as well as home care and primary care. Her area of clinical specialization includes endocrinology and diabetes management and education.
- DNP, St. John Fisher College, 2010
- MS, adult health nurse practitioner, Syracuse University, 1996
- BS, nursing, Alfred University College of Nursing, 1980
- Diabetes prevention, care and education
- Diabetes and technology
- Health policy
- Advanced practice courses
- Clinical Excellence Award, Alfred University 1980
- Clinical Excellence Award, St. John Fisher College 2010