Binghamton University's Ellyn Uram Kaschak Institute for Social Justice for Women and Girls was established with a generous endowment gift made by Dr. Ellyn Uram Kaschak '65. Building on Dr. Kaschak's feminist life commitment, the Institute's mission is to "promote social justice and equality for all women and girls domestically and internationally to ensure a more just, fair, inclusive, and equitable world."
The institute works to invest in the next generation by fostering high-impact learning opportunities for students, bringing together researchers across campus (and the world), and connecting our research expertise to communities, whether locally or globally. We provide undergraduate and graduate students at Binghamton University with:
- Opportunities to participate in cutting-edge research
- Experiential learning opportunities
- Scholarships and fellowships
- Career opportunities
- Innovative knowledge generation networks
- International and national events, programs, and decision-making fora
- Interaction with global thought leaders
People and Initiatives
Executive Director, Advisory Board, and Partnerships
(Page under construction)
News and Featured Stories
- A recent article in BingUNews featured Kaschak's executive director, Lorena Aguilar, and the work being done at the Institute. Read it here
- Student assistants Jason Ocampo and Cynthia Tan, recently developed a CV on climate change after completing a research project that involved collecting data on who at BU has worked on or is currently working on climate change. Access the CV here
- On your way home today, listen to KI's executive director, Lorena Aguilar, and Anga Mbeyiya, Founder of Ole Blu, in this podcast that shows how women can, and are, leading conservation and business in Episode 8 of Women’s Empowerment as a Key to Unlocking Ocean Finance - the latest episode of Investing for Ocean Impact.