ACNUR LOCO Festival is an educational project organized by the Spanish Committee of UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) to raise students’ awareness of refugees’ situations and the importance of getting actively involved in the defense of Human Rights.
Given the diversity of Binghamton University and the region in which it is located, ACNUR is hosting the LOCO festival as a way to celebrate our multiculturality, multiethnicity, and diverse thinking. As events in the world continue to fuel the refugee crisis, this event seeks to increase cultural competence as a way to promote solidarity and cooperation.
- Past LACAS Events
- Café con LACAS (weekly event)
- Screening of Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am (speaker: Carole Boyce Davies)
- Faculty/Graduate Student/Staff Potluck
- Drug War Capitalism: Corporate Power, Capital Accumulation and U.S. Drug Enforcement Policy Making (Speaker: Horace Bartilow)
- Taina Asili y la Banda Rebelde (Free Concert)
- ¡Retumba! Echoes of a Sacred Legacy! The Popping workshop: M.A.Z.E. (Movement Activates Zoedic Energy) (Speaker: Jorge "Pop Master Fabel" Pabon)
- Café con Leche (weekly event)
- Lessons from El Salvador: The Crisis of Migration (Speaker: Zulma Tobar of US - El Salvador Sister Cities & Bernardo Belloso, President of the Association for Rural Development of El Salvador, CRIPDES).
- Fourth Biennial Undergraduate Research Conference: Activism of the Mind: Producing Knowledge of Latin America, the Caribbean, and Diasporas (Speaker: Xhercis Mendez)
- Pura Belpré: A Puerto Rican Librarian in 1920s NYC (Speaker: Gladys Jiménez-Muñoz)
- LACAS Open House
- "Making Cuban Stars: Reflections on US-Cuban History and Migrations Through Baseball" (Speaker: Adrian Burgos)
- “From Citizens to Natives: Tropical Politics of Depopulation at the Panama Canal Zone” (Speaker: Marixa Lasso)
- “An Island in the Modern World: On Coexistance in Hispaniola” (Speaker: Silvio Torres-Saillant)
- "Remapping Chinese Medicine Overseas: The Case of Peru" (Speaker: Patricia Palma)
- "La batalla de los Invisibles: Indocumentados vs. supermercados" - Film Screening (Speaker: Manuel de Alba)
- "The Currency of Créolité in the Francophone Caribbean" (Speaker: Lydie Moudileno)
- Third Biennial Undergraduate Research Conference (Speaker: Gladys Jimenez- Muños)
- "From Amazons to Zombies: The Monstrous Caribbean" (Speaker: Persephone Braham)
- "Housing is a Human Right! The Dignified Fight for Homes in Mexico City and Beyond" (Speaker: Luis Saracho, Union de vecionos damnificados 19 de septiembre and Mexico Solidarity Network)
For more information about events from 2015 - 2004 please contact the department.