Policy Information
Policy TitleSpace
Responsible OfficeOffice of Course Building and Academic Space Management
Policy TypeFacilities and Property
Policy Number405
Last Revision Date2/6/2024

Changes in the use of University Space and Space Request Process

Unit directors have responsibility for managing space assigned to their department. If additional space is needed and cannot be accommodated within a unit's existing space allocation, a space request form must be submitted to the respective vice president, or to the respective dean, in the case of academic departments. The dean or vice president can reallocate space within their division to accommodate the request. (All changes in space function or occupants must be reported to the Course Building and Academic Space Management Office within 14 days of the change.)

The Space Management Council (SMC), which is comprised of: the president, the provost/executive vice president, five vice presidents, the senior vice president/chief financial officer, the director of athletics, the associate vice president for facilities management, the associate vice president for research, the director of course building and academic space management, the director of design, a faculty senate representative, and the business and strategic project manager, reserves the right to reallocate space, as needed, to align with University priorities. When the University relocates all or a portion of a unit into new space, the space vacated by the unit becomes part of the University's pool for reassignment.

The SMC reserves the right to allocate space for a specific time period. Such space is considered part of the University's pool of space, not the division's space allocation. If the unit occupying the space desires to extend the allocation, the space request process must be followed.

The vehicle for requesting space is the Space Request Form. An analysis of all existing assigned space must also be provided by the requesting unit detailing room function, room occupant(s), occupant type (FT, PT, perm, temporary) and precise, daily utilization factors.

  • Request Process - The director, department chair or principal investigator completes a Space Request form (available at, provides analysis of existing space use, obtains necessary signatures, and forwards to their dean or AVP, as appropriate. If space is available from within the dean's or AVP's space allocation, space assignments can be made at the discretion of the dean or AVP. If space is not available and the dean or AVP supports the request for space, the dean or AVP, or representative thereof, in conjunction with the director of the Office of Course Building and Academic Space Management and the Facilities Management director of Design, develops a space proposal that is forwarded by the dean or AVP to the Provost for consideration by the SMC.
    SMC decisions will be relayed to the affected department by the director of Course Building and Academic Space Management. Once space recommendations are approved, the director, dean or designee is responsible for submitting a service request for any work needed by Facilities Management. Approval of space changes does not constitute an approval of funding for any work that must be accomplished. Funding must be obtained separately.

Space use changes within space currently assigned to a department may be made by the controlling department as needed, but must be reported to the director of Course Building and Academic Space Management for the Campus Space Inventory (AiM) to be updated.