What To Bring When You Move In


Your room will contain a bed with mattress, desk, chair, wardrobe and dresser. Our communities and most areas of campus are covered by our wireless Wi-Fi network


  • any medication prescribed to the student
  • bedding: pillow, pillow case, sheets (extra-long twin), blanket, bedspread
  • cleaning supplies: laundry detergent, dish detergent
  • toiletries: soap, shampoo, deodorant
  • towels and washcloths
  • eating utensils: cup, bowl, plate, spoon, fork


  • clothes hangers
  • computer and chargers
  • notebooks, pens
  • desk lamp
  • shower caddy and shower shoes
  • fan
  • umbrella and/or raincoat
  • packaged snacks


If you have posters you want to hang, bring poster hanging putty – look for the blue kind for easier removal (for CIW, Hinman, Mountainview and Apartments) or push pins/thumb tacks (for Dickinson and Newing).

Refrigerators and microwaves

The University contracts a third party for leasing refrigerator and microwave units which are leased on a semester or yearly basis and will be delivered to the room prior to your arrival. For more information, visit the MicroFridge website.


Each of the lower campus community buildings has a kitchen on the first floor that residents may use. The Apartments Communities have full kitchens so cooking utensils are suggested.

Not allowed

  • tapestries, wall flags or any other cloth decorations
  • draperies or window coverings (all windows have blinds)
  • candles and incense
  • space heaters
  • heating element or open coil appliances (multi-cup coffee maker, hot plate, toaster, toaster oven, etc.)
  • halogen and multi-headed lamps
  • alcohol (if under 21)
  • weapons
  • extension cords or cube adaptors
  • no bed lofting supplies
  • fireworks
  • air conditioners
  • devices that use the reactivity of ozone for the purpose of cleaning the air

See the housing license for a complete list of what is not permitted in the residence halls.