Assistant Professor of Management Information Systems
Thi Tran is currently an assistant professor of management information systems at the School of Management at Binghamton University, State University of New York. He has graduated his PhD in Information Technology and specialized in Cyber Security Research at the Department of Information Management and Cyber Security, the University of Texas at San Antonio. He holds a Bachelor of Business Administration, specialized in Human Resource Management and Strategic Management. He also obtained a Master of Science in Information Technology and Management specialized in Data Analytics and IT Project Management from The University of Texas at Dallas.
His current research interests are investigating misinformation harms and designing misinformation handling systems. He has published in several journals, including Information Systems Frontiers, AIS Transactions on Human Computer Interactions, and IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. He has several journal research papers that are currently under the peer reviewing process at top tier and high impact journals in Management Information Systems field such as Management Information Systems Quarterly (MISQ) and International Journal of Information Management (IJIM).
He has presented his studies as peer reviewed conference proceedings publications at several Information Systems and Cyber Security conferences such as IEEE Big Data, IEEE AI for Good, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), American Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Secure Knowledge Management Conference in Artificial Intelligence Era (SKM), IDeaS Annual Conferences, or IFIP WG8.11/WG11.13 Conference on Information Systems Security Research. His work has received Outstanding Doctoral Student Paper Award at the Pre-ICIS Workshop on Information Security and Privacy 2021 (WISP 2021), as well as the awarded National Science Foundation (NSF) research grant and various other institutional research grants.
He has been teaching management information systems courses for more than two years, covering various aspects including cyber security, information assurance, data analytics, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, big data, and IT project management.
- BS, University of Economics HCMC
- MS, PhD, University of Texas
- Behavioral and cybersecurity issues
- Misinformation harms during crises
- System designs to tackle crisis misinformation flows
- Phishing e-mails
- Fake social media accounts
- Data breaches
- Digital privacy
- Behavioral research methods (Behavioral surveys, longitudinal studies, exploratory research, experimental studies, econometrics – structural equation modeling (SEM), Delphi technique, psychometric analyses, factor analyses, measurement development, design science research)
- Technical research methods (text mining and various applications of machine learning, such as unsupervised topic modeling and other natural language processing applications like sentiment analyses)
- Applied neuroscience in information systems (NeuroIS)
- Principles of MIS
- Database management
- Data mining
- Data analytics with R
- Data analytics with Python
- Information assurance
- IT project management