The following sustainability goals are outlined in the University's Campus Sustainability Plan. As a campus community, faculty, staff, and students are continuously working together to achieve these goals.
Education & Research. Binghamton University's first sustainability goal is to increase sustainability education, outreach, and research. This goal will be achieved by the following:
- Increase number of faculty conducting research in sustainability by 2022.
- 30% of graduating students will have taken a sustainability related course by 2022.
- 100% of faculty, staff, and students will receive sustainability training at orientation by the year 2022.
Carbon Neutrality. Carbon neutrality is an integral part of making Binghamton's campus community more sustainable. This goal will be achieved by the following:
- Binghamton University's electricity supply will include 50% renewable energy by 2022 and 75% by 2030.
- Greenhouse gas emissions per weighed campus user will be below two metric tons of CO2 equivalent by 2022.
- By 2022, the University will establish a web-based energy/carbon emission dashboard to publicly share real time data on all building electricity, heating energy, and water usage. additional sub-meters will be installed in student housing to identify lighting and plug loads.
Transportation. The Binghamton University community will use sustainable commuting options as its primary method of transportation. This goal will be achieved by doing the following:
- Reduce single occupancy community to campus is a fossil fuel-based vehicle by employees and students to 70% by 2022.
- Reduce intra-campus single occupancy driving in a fossil fuel-based vehicle by 25% by 2022.
Cradle to Grave. Binghamton University will incorporate "cradle-to-grave" considerations into all purchasing and waste management practices. This goal will be achieved by doing the following:
- Maintain 30% recycling rate, per year, on campus through 2022.
- Decrease cross-contamination on campus by 5% by the end of 2022.
- Increase purchasing of biodegradable or reusable products by 15% by the end of 2022.
Innovation. Binghamton University has become a leader in innovation in sustainability practices. We aim to continue to work on this innovation by doing the following:
- By 2022 Binghamton University will be ranked in the top 50 Green Universities by the Sierra Club.
- Binghamton University will receive a Gold rating on AASHE STARS for the 2019-2020 school year.
- By 2022, the University will own and operate a certified Living Building.
Infrastructure. Binghamton University's infrastructure will regenerate the natural environment by doing the following:
- The University will treat 100% of its new impervious surface runoff in a sustainable manner by 2022.
- By 2022, 10% of Binghamton University's non-athletic landscaping will be naturalized to be a habitat for pollinators and other wildlife.
- By 2022, Binghamton University will have a complete environmental assessment.