Student Info


Health Holds

If you have a health hold preventing registration, please follow the instructions on the Decker Student Health Services New Student Information page to get your hold lifted. 

Credit Limits

  • Undergraduate students may not register for more than 8 credits in either Term I or Term II. Students may not register for more than 16 credits during the combined terms of the entire Summer Session.
  • Graduate Students are limited to a small number of overall credits. See the Graduate School Manual for details.

Exceptions to these credit limits are few and must be approved by an academic adviser in the appropriate school for undergraduate students and by the Graduate School for graduate students. All courses in the summer schedule of classes are offered for 4 credits unless otherwise noted. Full-time status for the entire Summer Session is 16 credits.

Cancellation of Courses

Because of the regulations governing the Summer Session, courses that do not meet the minimum enrollment targets are ordinarily canceled. The Summer Session Office cannot guarantee that every course listed in the BU Brain schedule of classes will actually be taught.

Auditing a Course

Students may audit a course with the consent of the instructor, who determines the requirements for participation by auditors. Students who take a course as an auditor may not receive credit for it later unless they retake the course. A student must file a Course Audit Petition--obtained from the Financial Aid and Student Records Office--and be approved to audit any course. Completed audit forms must be submitted to the Financial Aid and Student Records office by the add deadline for that specific term of Summer Session. Auditors must follow regular Summer Session registration procedures and make appropriate tuition and fee payment

Student Complaint Policy

Students wishing to file a complaint should follow the procedures outlined in the University Bulletin under "Academic Grievance Procedures." Students taking courses through a distance-learning format may also file a complaint with their home state agency. The State Higher Education Executive Office (SHEEO) has provided a directory of student complaint information by state and agency.

General Policies and Procedures

For further details on general academic policies that may be relevant to you, Undergraduate students can refer to the Office of the Provost Website and Graduate students can refer to the Graduate School Manual.

Student Life

Student ID Card

You must have a valid Binghamton University ID card to access most services available for students.


Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) requires all motor vehicles parked on campus to have a valid University virtual parking permit.

Student Housing

For information on housing, visit the Residential Life webpage.


During the summer, from commencement until the beginning of the fall semester, Binghamton University Dining Services has several retail locations open. Primarily, these locations offer breakfast and lunch menus during the week.