Undergraduate Admissions Deferral Process

Undergraduate Admissions Deferral Process

First-year or transfer students who have been admitted to Binghamton University may request to defer their enrollment for a future term by emailing admit@binghamton.edu. Deferrals are reviewed and granted on a case-by-case basis, and if granted, are for one (1) year.

To start the deferral process, submit your enrollment deposit to confirm your intent to enroll at Binghamton. You will then receive an official deferral request form through your application status checker. You must complete all sections and submit prior to the required deadlines (below). If a deferral is granted, the deposit reserves your spot in your new term of entry.

Binghamton will consider the following reasons for requesting an enrollment deferral:

  • Military or public service
  • Religious study or cultural enrichment experience
  • Research, internship or work opportunities
  • Waiting on approval of visa (for study at Binghamton) or permanent residency
  • Medical

Binghamton will not consider deferrals for the following reasons:

  • Application to, or educational study at, another college or university (including non-credit coursework)
  • Attending another university with a lower cost of attendance (i.e, living at home while taking classes at your local community college).

Additionally, students admitted from the waitlist may not defer enrollment

Requirements for deferring enrollment to Binghamton University

  • You must complete the Deferred Enrollment Request Form on your checklist by July 1 if you were admitted for fall, December 1 if admitted for spring.
  • Students admitted for spring entry can only defer their enrollment to the following spring term.
  • Students who are found to have applied to, or enrolled at, other colleges or universities during their deferment will have their admission revoked. They also forfeit their $350 enrollment deposit.
  • For a first-year student, approval is contingent upon successful completion of any high school coursework in progress. The same holds true of college coursework in the case of a transfer student requesting a deferral.
  • A final high school transcript showing date of graduation, signature and seal must be forwarded to the Binghamton Office of Undergraduate Admissions immediately upon graduation. It is your responsibility to ensure that an official final transcript is received.
  • Once a deferral is approved for a new term, the student may not submit an additional application for that new term. Only one application is permitted per term. Example: If a first-year student defers, they cannot submit a transfer application for the same term.

Communications from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions

  • If your approval is granted, you will receive communications based on your new entry term.
  • Information about housing, orientation and other “new student” information will be forthcoming in the semester prior to entry.

Financial Aid

  • If your deferral is granted, you must submit a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at the appropriate time for the new term in which you are enrolling. Binghamton’s recommended filing date for fall admission is January 1 and November 15 for spring admission.
  • Most scholarships and honors/research opportunities awarded for the original entry term will be honored for the new term of deferral.


If your deferral is approved after you graduate from high school, you will be considered a first-year student and required to live on campus your first year. Housing applications must be submitted the semester prior to entry.

To request a deferral, send an email to admit@binghamton.edu.