A set of criteria have been established by the National Science Foundation to select students for the REU program, however undergraduates from all areas of science and engineering are eligible for the program. We encourage participation of early-career students (rising sophomores) from community colleges, small colleges with limited research opportunities and groups that are underrepresented in science and engineering including women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities.
The initial application requirements for undergraduate students are as follows:
- Current undergraduates who have completed their first year of undergraduate education
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- U.S citizens or permanent residents
- Students who graduate prior to the summer are not eligible
How to Apply
Below is a list of materials you will be required to submit as part of the application.
- Provide demographic and educational information
- Prepare one-page resume in PDF format showing work and/or research experience
- Provide a copy of your academic transcript in PDF format (unofficial accepted)
- Prepare personal statement - Describe your overall career goals and specific research interests. Describe your motivations for pursuing this research opportunity and how you feel it will help you further your academic and professional goals. (5,000 character max)
- Two letters of recommendation and contact information for each referee
- Indicate your top three areas of research interest by reviewing the Research Themes
Once above materials have been collected and prepared, students should navigate to our research opportunity "REU Site: Microbial Biofilm Development, Resistance, & Community Structure" posted on NSF ETAP to submit application materials and apply.
Eight to ten students will be selected, and each will receive:
- $6,500 stipend
- On campus housing for out-of-town students
- $100 weekly meal allowance
- Travel subsidy to and from Binghamton, up to $450
- Application Open: January 1, 2023
- Application deadline: February 19, 2023
- Arrival in Binghamton: May 29, 2023
- First day of program: May 30, 2023
- Last day of program: August 4, 2023
- Move out: August 5, 2023
Direct all inquiries and application materials to biofREU@binghamton.edu