Visiting Scholars

The Center for Korean Studies offers affiliation to scholars and fellows visiting Binghamton University for an extended period. Eligible affiliates include faculty holding appointments at other universities, researchers at research institutions, professionals from media and civic organizations, government officials and artists who seek to conduct research on topics related to Korea.

During the residency, the center provides scholars with access to the Binghamton University academic community and its renowned library system, and welcomes their educational, intellectual and artistic contributions to both the University and larger Binghamton community.

The Center offers two types of affiliation:

  • Visiting Scholar - Applicants must have earned a PhD or other comparable terminal graduate or professional degree, and hold a faculty or other permanent research position at an accredited university, college or research institution.
  • Visiting Fellow - Eligible non-academic visiting fellows are senior government officials, researchers at research institutes or civic organizations and prominent figures in business, politics, journalism and activism.

The application procedure, responsibilities and benefits are the same for both types of affiliation.

Send all application information to:

Program Coordinator
Center for Korean Studies
Binghamton University
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000

Application Requirements

The Center charges a non-refundable application fee, $150.

  • Curriculum Vitae in English
  • Proposal in English outlining the research that will be undertaken while in residence at Binghamton University
  • Photocopy of passport
  • Certificate of Employment
  • Funding documentation or financial support documents

New English Language Proficiency Requirement for J-1 Exchange Visitors

Effective January 5, 2015, the U.S. Department of State issued a new rule concerning the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, which brings hundreds of visiting international professors, researchers, and other types of short term scholars to Binghamton University every year.

University departments must now determine that prospective exchange visitors possess "sufficient proficiency in the English language, as determined by an objective measurement of English language proficiency, successfully to participate in his or her program and to function on a day-to-day basis." [22 CFR 62.11(a)(2)]

The new rule requires the sponsoring department to use one of the following objective measures of language proficiency:

  • A recognized English language test (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS; University minimum requirements: TOEFL (IBT) 80, IELTS 6.5); or
  • Signed documentation from an Academic Institution or English Language school (Issued in English within the past 12 months; Printed on official letterhead and Includes signature from school official) 

Financial Requirements

Exchange visitor regulations require explicit financial documentation. Minimum funding for living expenses regardless of source of support:

  • $1400/month for the visitor only
  • An additional $600/month is required for an accompanying spouse
  • $400/month for each child

Funding at this minimum level is required throughout the length of the appointment.

Letters of support must be on official stationery and guarantee a specified amount in U.S. dollars for the duration of the visitor's intended stay. If support comes from personal savings, bank statements must be submitted.

Scholarly Responsibilities

Visiting scholars and visiting fellows affiliated with the Center are expected to participate in the center's intellectual community and have monthly meetings with his/her mentor or the center director.

Application Deadline

Applicants are advised to submit their applications early, as it normally takes four months to process them.

Office Space

The center offers shared office space to visiting scholars and visiting fellows.

Campus Service

Affiliation with the Center for Korean Studies allows visiting scholars and visiting fellows to obtain an official campus identification card. CKS provides a University e-mail, web-storage and personal webpage account.

Campus Housing

There is no on-campus housing option for visiting scholars or visiting fellows. However, CKS can assist in finding affordable housing in the area and give guidance about off-campus housing options upon request.

Mandatory Health Insurance

Every visiting scholar or visiting fellow and all accompanying dependents must have health insurance coverage that meets the standards of the University. Health insurance coverage is coordinated through Binghamton University's Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).