- BA, MA, Pennsylvania State University
- PhD, Indiana University
- Rhetorical theory and criticism
- organizational communication
- Compassionate nonviolent communication
- Social Actions
- Voices of diversity
- Spiritual communication
- The Robert Kibler Award
- National Communication Association (2005). This award specifically was for "dedication to excellence
- acceptance of diversity
- concern for others
- and forthrightness" as seen through "accomplishments in research
- and service."
Hero of Forgiveness
- and Peace Award
- World Forgiveness Alliance (2004). Previous winners of this award include Mahatma Gandhi
- Martin Luther King
- Nelson Mandela
- and Desmond Tutu. The award is given to individuals who promote forgiveness as a way of creating a safer
- more joyful
- and more peaceful world.
Distinguished Research Fellow- recognizing a lifetime of distinguished research (2000)-- youngest person to receive this lifetime award
- earning it at age 47.
Distinguished Teaching Fellow
- Eastern Commnuication Association(1999)--youngest person to receive this lifetime award
- earning it at age 46.
Dean's Research Semester Award (1994)
National Speaker's Association Outstanding Professor Award (1993)
Everett Lee Hunt Award
- Eastern Communication Association
- for book
- Abraham Lincoln the Orator: Penetrating the Lincoln Legend (1993)
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education. Award given annually by the national Speech Communication Association to "an individual who is a consummate educator" (1989)-youngest person to receive this award.
Past President's Award
- Eastern Communication Association (given to someone in his/her "mid-career" to recognize "distinguished research
- and service to the Association and the profession")
- (1985)-youngest person to receive this mid-career award
- earning it at age 30.
Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 1982-83-- received this award the first year she was eligible
Karl Wallace Award-- National research award (1982)-- youngest person to receive this award.