English, General Literature and Rhetoric
- BA, MFA, University of Arizona
- MA, PhD, University of California at Irvine
- Sports studies
- 20th-century literature
- feminist and critical theory
- creative writing
- Gender Studies
- Science Studies
- Third Wave Feminism
- Globalization & the Environment
SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activities
SUNY Chancellor's and University Award for Excellence in Teaching
Poetry twice nominated for a Pushcart Prize.
Lost Arts nominated for the CNY Book Award.
Built to Win received Honorable Mention
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport Book Award
Lingua Franca named Pretty Good for a Girl a “Breakthrough Book” in the February
- 2000 issue.
The Nation named Third Wave Agenda a “Notable Book” in 1998.
Election to Trustee and Executive Vice-President of the Women's Sports Foundation
- 2002: The Women's Sports Foundation
- founded by Billie Jean King in 1973
- is the world's largest foundation devoted to women's sports.
American Association of University Women Community Action Grant
- “Strong Girls
- Strong Women: Community Outreach and Education to Encourage Participation and Ethics in Girls' and Women's Sports.”
State of New York/UUP Campus Grant
- Spring 1999
- “Exploring Possibilities for the Establishment of The Nell Jackson Center for the Study of Female Athletes.”