Advising Contact Information 

Joyce Kruger-Knuepfer

Environmental Studies Advisor

Advising hours via Zoom:

  • Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays: 1 pm - 4 pm

  • Tuesdays: 1 pm - 3 pm

  • Thursdays: 10 am - 12 pm

Susan Ryan

Adjunct Faculty/Environmental Studies Advisor

Advising hours via Zoom:

  • Mondays, Fridays: 11 am - 12 pm
  • Tuesdays, Thursdays: 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm 

Dr. George Homsy

Associate Professor/Director of Environmental Studies

Scheduling an appointment with Starfish

Binghamton University students can schedule an appointment with an advisor using Starfish in the portal.

Set-up an appointment

Select Starfish under "Useful Links" or "Available Links." On the top left of the Starfish Homepage, select "Services" or you may need to select "Show Other Services" on bottom left and then select the tile with "Environmental Studies Program Advising" and then click on the three horizontal dots after the name of the advisor to "schedule" (an appointment).

Unable to register for a course?

Submit the following course petition if you are unable to register yourself for a course. 

Environmental Studies Course Petition

NOTE: You must complete using your Bmail account.

Declaring an Environmental Studies Major/Minor

Declaring an interest in Environmental Studies on your admissions application does not mean you have declared your major or minor; all students enter Binghamton as undeclared. Please review the information on the Harpur College website Choosing a Major.

Highlights from these pages include the following: "All freshmen enter Harpur College as undecided students. We require you to take time to consider your options, our first years here."


If you do not yet meet the requirements, and you hold a class standing of second-semester freshman or higher, it is possible for you to complete a waiver to declare your major before you meet the requirements. If you are a first semester freshmen and qualify under special STEM funding guidelines, use the waiver to declare your major and state your STEM status in the Comments section of the form. By completing the waiver, you acknowledge that you are aware of the requirements for the major and you affirm that you will work to meet the requirements. It is possible to be dropped from the major if you do not make consistent progress toward your degree requirements.

If you are already declared as an Environmental Studies (ENVI) major or minor but would like to review your progress, schedule an appointment or send an email with a schedule request to We definitely recommend that you schedule an appointment in advance.

Use this form to start the process of declaring your ENVI major or minor:

major/minor declaration form

Senior Thesis

The Senior Thesis is a two-semester program comprised of:

  • ENVI 397

  • ENVI 498

Students who write a thesis are able to work one-on-one with a faculty member they choose on a topic of interest to them. Some past papers have led been published in professional journals.

If you think you might want to write a senior thesis:

  • Discuss it with the Environmental Studies Director or Environmental Studies Advisor some time in the fall of your junior year.

  • Make sure you work with the ENVI advisor to register for ENVI 397

If you want to write a thesis but you are planning to graduate in December or finish your degree in less than four years, discuss your situation with the Environmental Studies Director or Environmental Studies Advisor.

Steps to Graduate

Graduating seniors should apply for your degree before current semester withdrawal grade option change. Please visit the commencement page for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    How can I get into closed courses?

    First, check whether the course has a wait list. If a wait list is available, the only way to enter the course is to add yourself to the wait list. For more information regarding the wait-listing procedure, contact the Envi advisor. If the course does not have a wait list is to self-register if a spot becomes available. For closed courses you should monitor BU Brain closely during open registration periods.

    Is the course restricted?

    Be sure to check Restrictions for a course are by going onto BU Brain and clicking on the course title. At the bottom of the page, restrictions for the course will be listed.

    If a course is restricted, you must meet the prerequisites for the course before you are able to register for the course. If you are having credits for the prerequisite transferred in, but the credits do not yet appear on your Binghamton University transcript, please visit the Environmental Studies Academic Advising office. If you have questions about restricted courses offered by the Biology or Chemistry departments, please contact those departments directly.

    How can I register for independent study credits?

    Complete an independent study course registration form for ENVI 397 Independent Study by going to the ENVI Advisor or the Geology Office. Please complete these form carefully.

    Note: Students who want to register for 4 credits of independent study after the add/drop deadline will need to file a late add petition through Harpur and pay the late add fee. Be sure to submit these forms early. It is possible to register for 2 credits of independent study after the regular add/drop deadline. Please contact the advising office to complete the paper copy of the form if the online form is no longer available. For Biology independent study, fill out the appropriate form and return to their main office (S3-210).

    Will any independent study (in any department) count toward the major?

    Yes. However, the independent study must have an environmental studies component. This component must be agreed upon in advance with the ENVI advisor. We do not accept independent studies outside of ENVI as part of your ENVI major after you have taken them.

    Independent research courses outside of ENVI may not automatically appear in the major section of your Degree Works. You will need to see the program's academic advisor so that a Degree Works Exception can be made to allow the research courses to count.

    How can I register for a teaching assistantship?

    Complete the ENVI 491 Teaching Assistant registration form. This form will be sent out to all majors in the semester prior to the course offering. Please complete this form carefully. If you have questions, please ask the ENVI advisor. When you apply for this, please register for a full set of courses not including ENVI 491. If you are accepted for the teaching assistantship position we will swap ENVI 491 with another class of your choosing.

    How do I know if a course I've taken or plan to take at another college will count toward Environmental Studies major requirements?

    Please check with the course-to-course lookup tool. Decisions regarding transfer credits are made by the director of the Environmental Studies Program. To find out if a course taken elsewhere will count toward your Environmental Studies degree requirements, bring a written description of the course (e.g., the catalog description from the other university or a syllabus) to the Environmental Studies Program Advising Office in Science 1, 142C.

    How can I get credits from another institution to count towards my major?

    Submit a completed major/minor petition form with a detailed course description of syllabus to the advising office (Science 1, 142C). Paper copies of the form are also available in the advising office. Evaluation of these petitions can take up to a week or more. Students must petition BEFORE taking courses at other institutions as there is no guarantee that courses/credits will be accepted.

    How can I get credits from a study abroad program to count towards my major?

    In advance of your study abroad class, complete a transfer credit petition form and bring it to the advising office (Science 1, 142C). Evaluation of these petitions can take up to a week or more. Students must petition BEFORE taking courses abroad as there is no guarantee that courses/credits will be accepted.

    What if I need to take an incomplete in a course?

    You must meet with your instructor to determine if you will be permitted to receive an incomplete in a course. Incompletes are warranted when a student has a personal or medical emergency that prevents them from completing coursework. We highly encourage students and faculty to create an Incomplete Contract to ensure that all parties know exactly what coursework remains and when it must be completed by. Copies of the contract should be provided to the instructor, the student, and the advising office (S1-142C).

    What General Education (GE) courses should I take for the Environmental Studies Major?

    As part of your undergraduate degree at Binghamton University, you must take a variety of courses in areas that are designed to give you a broad-based education with an array of skills and expertise. These General Education (GE) requirements can be found here:

    As long as you meet the distribution requirements you can choose from any of the courses that meet the GE credentials. Any declared ENVI majors will receive a list of current course options. We have also compiled a list of suggestions that we believe contribute towards training in the ENVI major: You can find this document here

    Note that some of these courses (marked in bold) are required for the major so taking these will meet the GE AND the major requirements. Offered courses are subject to change on a semester basis.

    Courses by specific semester can be found by Looking Up Classes on BU Brain when logged into your student account.

    Additional Questions?

    For more information about course registration, graduation/commencement, enrollment verification, and the final exam schedule, as well as access to any forms please see the Registrar's website.

    See Harpur Advising for any Gen Ed or Harpur College requirement questions.

    Click here for overload request, general academic petition (to waive Harpur College residency requirement, extension of incomplete, etc), transfer petition, and additional Harpur forms.

    For general information about transferring to Binghamton click here.

    For more specific questions, please contact the ENVI Advisor via email: Joyce Kruger-Knuepfer. Binghamton University students can schedule an appointment through Starfish on Anyone can email an appointment request to Joyce.