Alerts and Important Information
Get the answers to frequently asked questions about the impact of COVID-19 on financial aid and scholarships.
Read more information about the Restarting Binghamton Plan.
How to apply for the Excelsior Scholarship
- The 2022-23 Excelsior Scholarship fall semester application is currently open and will close on August 31, 2022. For more information, visit NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC)
- Current recipients do not need to complete a new application but must complete the NYS Student Aid Payment (TAP) application each year. If you do not complete the TAP application for the 2022-2023 academic year, HESC will not send the Excelsior award regardless of Excelsior eligibility.
- Recipients must also complete income verification with HESC to receive their award. You can achieve this by submitting the Income Questionnaire to your HESC portal.
Financial Aid Office Servicing and Hours:
Summer Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for walk-in service
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for phone service at 607-777-2428
When to call/email the office:
- General financial aid or eligibility questions
- Loan adjustments
- Discuss additional loan/funding options
- Check receipt of documents/FAFSA
When to make a counselor appointment*: Financial Aid counselor appointment
- Discuss special circumstances/appeals
- Study Abroad costs/funding
- Issues with FAFSA or New York state aid applications
- Financial aid impact questions due to course withdrawals
- Loss of aid eligibility questions
*Appointments can be scheduled via phone or Zoom and are reserved for more private, confidential discussions.
Monday - Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Note: Financial aid counselors are also available on a walk-in basis during the hours listed above.
Important Information for Student Veterans
The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. To view and print a copy of an estimated personalized cost of attendance you can visit the SUNY Net Price Cost Calculator and select Binghamton University from the dropdown. Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator site.
The SUNY Financial Aid Plan (FAP) will provide a more in-depth analysis and accurate picture of student costs once the student has filed their FAFSA, completed a SUNY application, and has been accepted by a campus.
COVID Emergency Relief Flexibilities Extended
No interest is accruing on federal student loans (even if students are not in repayment) through August 31, 2022 due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 emergency. For more information please visit https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus