Attending summer and winter sessions are great ways to accelerate your degree.
Financial aid funding for the summer is available for matriculated Binghamton University undergraduate and graduate students who are in good academic standing. Undergraduate students enrolled for at least six (6) credits, or Graduate students enrolled for at least three (3) credits during summer session may be eligible to use Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Parent PLUS Loans and Private Loans to help finance the summer session. Pell eligible students will receive the award automatically based on eligibility and enrollment.
Non-Binghamton students attending summer courses at Binghamton should contact their home school to see if they are eligible for funding.
To request financial aid for summer you must:
1. Be in good academic standing at Binghamton University at the end of the spring semester.
- The 2023-24 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to list Binghamton's Federal School Code: 002836. The 2023-24 FAFSA became available beginning October 1, 2022.
- The Summer 2023 Loan Request Form (opens March 2023), if loan funds are needed. Submit the form to the Financial Aid office after you are enrolled for summer and you received your 2023-24 financial aid award offer (beginning early March). You must be enrolled in 6 credits (undergraduate) or 3 credits (graduate) to be eligible for loans.
Note: Taking any portion of your loans(s) in summer will reduce loan eligibility for the fall and/or spring semesters.
- Pell Grant: Pell-eligible students will be awarded Pell for summer dependent on the Expected Family Contribution number (EFC) and the number of credits enrolled. If you do not wish to receive a summer Pell grant, which counts towards your 12-semester limit, email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop in to speak with a counselor.
- TAP: TAP cannot be used as a credit toward your summer bill as funds are not received until after the summer session ends.
3. Register for Binghamton's 2023 Summer Session. You must be enrolled for the minimum required credits to be eligible for loans. Register for summer coursework via BU BRAIN.
4. Maintain your enrollment. Dropping summer session coursework may result in loss of funding from PELL and/or loans.
When to expect summer aid in your financial aid award offer
Beginning early-May, once packaged for 2023-24 and registered for summer session, financial aid packages are revised to include summer aid. Revision notifications are sent to the student's official Binghamton email account.
Important note about summer financial aid refunds
Most financial aid refunds are not available until late-July and are based on maintaining enrollment. Dropping summer session coursework may result in loss of funding from PELL and/or loans.
For additional questions about summer aid and your eligibility, contact Financial Aid by email at email@example.com, call 607-777-2428, or visit the office.
Binghamton University does not offer aid for winter as a separate semester.
If the bill for winter session is not paid by the student, the bill will roll into the spring bill, at which time spring aid can be applied. If the student has enough spring financial aid to cover both winter and spring semester after the first spring payment due date, no late fees will apply for the winter session.