Admissions requirements

Are you passionate about human rights? We can give you the tools and experience you need to pursue a rewarding career in this field. 
Earn your Master of Science in Human Rights degree at Binghamton University!



APPLY TO the human rights program

Rolling decisions!

Departments in the College of Community and Public Affairs (CCPA) review applications on a rolling basis rather than by a set deadline, meaning we continue to make admission decisions until the program is full.

The earlier you submit your application, the earlier you’ll receive a decision!  

  • Priority will be given to applicants who submit by Jan. 1.
  • Those wishing to be considered for fall funding should submit their applications by Feb. 1; applications received after this deadline are considered on a rolling/space available basis or are deferred until the next semester.

Requirements to be eligible for graduate study 

You must provide a complete set of your undergraduate (and, if applicable, graduate) transcripts showing one of the following:

  • You have earned a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university.
  • You are within one academic year of earning a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university.
  • You are eligible to apply as part of a memorandum of understanding between your current institution and Binghamton University.

You must also have earned, at minimum, one of the following:

  • A 3.0 GPA over your entire undergraduate career.
  • A 3.0 GPA during your last 60 semester-credits or 90 quarter-credits of your undergraduate degree, with most courses graded regularly (not as "pass/fail").
  • A 3.0 GPA in a graduate degree program, with most courses graded regularly (not as "pass/fail").

In consideration of the different grading scales used around the world, each academic department evaluates international transcripts to determine on a case-by-case basis whether they fulfill one of the above requirements.

Guaranteed Admission for Eligible Applicants

The M.S. in Human Rights program offers guaranteed admission for students who hold a bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.5 or higher from the following programs: 

  • All SUNY B.S. and B.A. degree programs
  • Trinity College B.A. in Human Rights
  • SUNY Global Engagement Program

Students who wish to apply to the MSHR through the guaranteed admissions program should contact us at

Regular admission requirements

Online graduate degree application

  • Including the graduate degree application fee

Transcripts from each college or university that you have attended

Two letters of recommendation 

  • The letters should come from instructors or professors who can attest to your academic ability for graduate study. 
  •  If you have been out of college for at least three years, you may submit current letters of reference from employment supervisors or others affiliated with your employment who can attest to your ability to perform successfully and professionally and to the likelihood of your success in a graduate program.

Personal statement

  • The personal statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the admissions committee and demonstrate your knowledge and passion for the field of human rights.
  • We are strongly interested in applicants who demonstrate the capacity to foster an institutional culture that advances human rights principles and practices and can succeed in a demanding graduate program. 
  • The statement should specifically address your interest in the program, career goals, commitment to human rights principles and practices, and current skills and experiences relative to your current or intended career in human rights.
  • The statement should be two double-spaced pages in length.

Résumé or curriculum vitae

GRE scores are not required.

International student admissions

International applicants must also submit results from either TOEFL (minimum score of 100) or IELTS (minimum score in Band Seven), unless they have received a college or university degree from a U.S. institution or an institution in a country whose official language is English.

More about admissions

For general guidelines for these materials, see the Binghamton University Graduate School's Admission Requirements.