The Institute for Asia and Asian Diasporas (IAAD) was founded in May 2006 with the support of the Binghamton University Division of Research. Its mission is to serve as a catalyst for the study of all parts of Asia (including western, central, southern, southeastern and eastern Asia). Its activities in support of that mission focus on Asia-related research, collaborations and partnerships in support of scholarship and education, and cultural outreach. In that regard, the IAAD has translated its mission pillars through the following:
- Supporting and informing development and outreach activities within and without the University.
- Partnering with New York businesses, unionism city/state agencies, development groups and non-governmental organizations to foster social economic development.
- Collaborating with Asian American partners in the Greater Binghamton community to work towards creating an Asian cultural center.
- Broadening American understandings of Asia through virtual educational training programs, seminars and workshops.
- Cultivating relationships with businesses, unions and higher-educational institutions in Asia.