Expenditure and Revenue Transfers

Expenditure Transfers

Expenditure transfers move an expenditure from the account it was originally charged to another account or sub-account. To request an expenditure transfer, complete the Expenditure Transfer Request Form and email to business@binghamton.edu.

Revenue Transfers

Revenue Adjustments

Occasionally deposits are receipted into the wrong IFR or SUTRA account. Revenue adjustments are used to move a previously posted revenue entry from one account to another. They can potentially affect several accounts and may occur months after the initial deposit. When moving revenue from one account to another the overhead assessment follows the adjustment.

Balance Transfers

If the account purpose allows, available cash balance may be transferred to other accounts within the same fund (IFR to IFR, SUTRA to SUTRA, etc.) to supplement or provide additional funding. When moving cash balance from one account to another the overhead assessment remains in the account where the originating revenue was posted. Balance transfers are not permitted on chargeback accounts. The balance in the originating account (the account from which the funds will be drawn) must be sufficient to absorb the transfer. 

To request a revenue adjustment or balance transfer, complete the Revenue Transfer Request Form and email to revenue@binghamton.edu. Staff responsible for managing the originating account must be copied on the email request.

Intra/Inter-Agency Transfers

New York State agencies are not able to generate a check payable to another New York State agency. To transfer funds between these agencies, the University Controller's office can post adjustments to the accounts. Accounting is responsible for facilitating both incoming and outgoing transfers for Binghamton University.

Intra-Agency transfers are transfers with another SUNY entity.

Inter-Agency transfers are transfers with another New York State (non-SUNY) entity.

Incoming transfers are treated as revenue and posted to IFR or SUTRA accounts. The department should create an invoice and send it to Accounting to collect the payment. The department will also need to provide the account the transfer should be deposited into.

Outgoing transfers are treated as expense. They require an invoice from the billing agency, the Binghamton account to be used for payment, and the department's approval to pay.

Contact Accounting to process a transfer.