On behalf of the faculty and staff at Binghamton University, the Retiree Services program extends our deepest sympathies to you and your family.
We realize that during times of bereavement, it can be difficult to concentrate on the various business matters needing your attention. You may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of where to begin; however, we do want to advise you of some issues to keep in mind.
- Certified Death Certificate
- ERS Notification - complete the ERS form and send along with certified copy of death certificate
- TRS Notification
- ORP Notification
- Contact Employee Benefits Division
NYS Department of Civil Service
Employee Benefits Division
ATTN: Retiree Unit
Albany, NY 12239
- Phone: (800) 833-4344 or (518) 457-5754 between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm
- Dependent Survivor Coverage - Health Insurance
- Enrolled dependents may be eligible to continue NYSHIP coverage if the enrollee predeceases them. See your NYSHIP General Information Book and make sure the dependents know to contact the Employee Benefits Division within 90 days of the retiree's death to enroll in survivor coverage.
- Survivor's Benefit Program
- Social Security
- Notify Social Security at (800) 772-1213 as soon as possible when someone getting benefits dies. In most cases, the funeral director will report the person's death to Social Security. Give the funeral director the deceased's Social Security number so he or she can report the death.