International Travel

Notice: University-related travel to a country or area within a country with a U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 and/or a CDC Travel Notice Level 3 or Level 4 must receive authorization prior to travel.

Binghamton University students, faculty, and staff frequently travel abroad for University-related purposes including business, research, study, and global program development.  International travel may pose significant health and safety risks, and travelers are encouraged to carefully plan for trips prior to departure. Preparation should take into consideration government warnings, University policies, procurement of health insurance including medical and security evacuation, and country-specific requirements.

The International Travel Safety Committee (ITSC) has ongoing oversight on all matters pertaining to safety as it impacts international travel, including policies, procedures, practices and protocols that will best promote safe travel practices.

Travel Approval 

Employee travel on University business - regardless of funding source - must be approved in advance on the electronic R&A Form by the traveler's supervisor, Chair, Dean, Vice President, Provost or President.

Travel Authorization for Travel Warning Countries

Employee and student travelers to a country or area within a country with a Level 3 or Level 4 U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Travel Advisory and/or Level 3 or Level 4 CDC Travel Notice must receive authorization prior to travel.

Travelers wishing to visit or transit through an elevated risk area will submit a completed and signed Request to Travel to Countries with a Travel Warning to Risk Management, AD-217 or to begin the ITSC review process.  Locations that pose a specific health, safety, or security concern as indicated by other sources may require authorization as well.  Information sources include but are not limited to: U.S. embassies/consulates, the Center for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), non-U.S. government authorities (e.g., Australian, U.K. or Canadian authorities), campus authorities, and travel assistance providers.  Requests are reviewed by the ITSC and the traveler may be required to meet with the ITSC prior to travel being authorized. 

Travelers should prepare their plans following the PACE model.

The University has the right to deny a travel request due to substantial travel risk, regardless of funding source.


Request to Travel to Countries with Travel Warnings - fillable word document

Health Insurance

All faculty, staff, and students who will travel internationally for business-essential travel must enroll in outbound health insurance for the duration of their international trip.  Research Foundation-funded travel will use Research Foundation-provided international insurance; all others will use ISSS Outbound Health Insurance, requested by submitting the following form. If questions arise about the ISSS coverage, please email

New EU Requirements Starting 2024

Beginning in 2024, some European countries will have new entry requirements.

Travelers will need to apply in advance for authorization through a visa process known as the EU Travel Information & Authorization System (ETIAS). You can find details on the EU travel website.

Change in Circumstance After Authorization

If travel plans are adjusted after authorization has been granted, the traveler or program/activity sponsor is responsible for contacting the ITSC to discuss conditions.

If there is a change in circumstances – in terms of the proposed itinerary, the critical nature of the trip, or the health, safety, or security climate of the destination country or region – either prior to or after departure, the University may withdraw authorization and/or require return to the U.S.