Traveler Responsibilities

An employee is considered to be in travel status and eligible for reimbursement of travel expenses (including lodging, meals, transportation, and miscellaneous travel expenses) when an employee is assigned at a work location more than 35 miles from both his/her official work station AND his/her home. The assignments must meet a necessary business purpose as directed and approved by appropriate personnel.

The official work station for the majority of our employees is Binghamton University. Traveling from Binghamton University to home or vice versa is considered commuting and is not reimbursable.

Day Trip Reimbursement

Travelers may be reimbursed for breakfast and/or dinner for day trips based on departure and return times. Travelers are entitled to reimbursement for breakfast if they have to leave at or before 7:00 AM, and/or dinner if they return home after 7:00 PM.

Travelers without meal receipts are reimbursed $5.00 for breakfast and/or $12.00 for dinner.

Travelers with itemized meal receipts are reimbursed up to the maximum amount of the meal per-diem allowance (Method 2) specified for the particular area of travel. Day trip meal reimbursements are reportable as income to the IRS.

Before Travel Takes Place:


An employee must complete the New Electronic R&A Form for every trip whether they are in overnight status, or simply taking a day trip. R&As identify who is traveling, where they are going, what they are doing, when they leave and return, what expenses they expect to incur, the funding account and a complete list of all parties traveling. The traveler's supervisor, Chair, Dean, Vice President, Provost or President should approve an employee's travel and funding account before travel takes place. It is important that all employees plan their travel, submit a completed and approved R&A form to the Business Office before the date of departure. If you need air and/or lodging control numbers, please request these via the R&A form well in advance of the trip. If there is a monetary limit placed on the R&A form, which will be the maximum amount that will be allowed for the trip, including control numbers for air and/or lodging. Failure to submit an R&A form may result in a delay or refusal of a traveler's request for reimbursement. The traveler is responsible for knowing and complying with all travel guidelines.

Lodging over per-diem justification policy

On occasion, travelers may be unable to find a hotel at a rate that does not exceed the maximum federal lodging per-diem rate for the location of the travel event. If that occurs, travelers must obtain PRIOR WRITTEN approval from his/her finance office to exceed the federal rate using the Request and Authorization form (R&A). On the R&A form, there is space available to give such a justification.

If staying at a hotel that is over the area's lodging per-diem, this needs to be justified on the R&A form before the trip occurs or traveler will only be eligible for reimbursement of the area's lodging per-diem.

Conference site-hotel that houses any conference/meeting events; staying at the conference site does not need to be pre-justified.

Conference recommended hotel-host hotel(s) for the conference/meeting-staying in host hotels does need to be pre-justified on R&A (again, before trip)

NYS OSC wants the traveler to show that the lodging that was obtained was at the most economical room rate possible-compare 3 like hotels, pick the cheapest and document on R&A before the travel event.

NYS wants traveler to show that traveler tried to obtain the most economical room rate possible-compare 3 like hotels, pick the cheapest and document on R&A before the travel event.

After Travel Takes Place:


After travel event takes place and, if the traveler is due reimbursement, the traveler must complete an Employee Report of Travel Expenses and Claim for Payment, attach (staple) all of their itemized receipts and documentation regarding the purpose of the trip, sign, obtain the signature of their supervisor, Director, Dean Vice President, Provost or President, and send everything to the Business Office. If a personal vehicle is used during a trip and the traveler is claiming mileage reimbursement, a completed Statement of Automobile Travel Form must be attached to the Expense Report.

Travel expense reports must be submitted within 30 days of the end of the travel event

Travel expense reports need to be stamped in by The Business Office and be "payable ready" by that date...which means that when they get to the Business Office, they are ready to pay and have all pertinent documentation included. Any aged travel expense reports received after that day or that are incomplete will be returned unpaid to the originating department. Late submission past the mandated 30 days may result in the employee not being allowed to travel on state business in the future.