Payment of Moving Expenses For New Employees

Policy Information
Policy TitlePayment of Moving Expenses For New Employees
Responsible OfficeDirector of Procurement
Policy TypeBusiness Affairs
Policy Number220
Last Revision Date10/9/2023


Reimbursement of moving expenses is not mandatory. It is a procedure established to assist in the recruitment of qualified candidates, and it is not expected that all new appointees will be authorized moving expenses. No reimbursement for moving and travel expense shall be made unless such reimbursement is approved by the appropriate appointing officer. Offer letters to new appointees should indicate the level of moving reimbursement allowed. The level of reimbursement should recognize the budget constraints and other considerations.

Claims for moving expenses must be made within one year of the effective date of appointment. Original or carbon copies of all bills of lading/receipts showing payment in full are required. Photocopies are not accepted.

The Department of Audit and Control limits reimbursement to certain actual and necessary moving and travel expenses. Please see IRS requirements pertaining to allowable moving expenses. Generally, these expenses include household goods defined as all reasonable items of furniture, furnishing, clothing, appliances, tools and equipment including necessary expenditures for handling items such as pianos. Not included are items such as automobiles and other motor vehicles, boats, building materials and belongings that are not the property of the appointee's immediate family. No reimbursement shall be provided for household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds. It is highly recommended that a certified mover be used. If a certified mover is not used, the employee must provide evidence of three competitive bids.

The cost of transportation of the appointee and his/her family to the new location may be reimbursed, at the rate paid by NYS for the use of personally-owned automobiles for official business. Payment shall be made for one automobile regardless of the number owned.


The Vice President, Dean or appointment department (depending on area) will mail a letter to the faculty/staff person to whom moving expenses reimbursement may be provided. In that letter, they shall indicate the maximum amount of money payable to the individual. 

After the new employee has signed the offer letter, the Vice President, Dean or department head will mail the new staff person to the appropriate forms and procedures available on the University's Accounts Payable - Moving website.

Once the necessary paperwork is completed and signed by the faculty or staff member, original receipts should be attached and returned to the Dean's office (in the case of faculty) or the Vice President's office (in the case of Student Affairs, Operations, Research or External Affairs) for their review and signature. After the appropriate signature, the paperwork is forwarded to the Business Office (AD-512) for processing. 


Accounts Payable & Travel Supervisor, 607-777-4660