Moving Expense Reimbursement

Moving Expenses Reimbursement-Taxable Income

All moving expense reimbursements paid to employees are considered taxable income to the employee. Please send your Moving Expenses reimbursement packet to the Business Office for audit purposes.  Once audited and correct, the moving expenses will be reimbursed via the employee's payroll check/direct deposit (whichever the employee has optioned) as the correct taxes need to be withheld.

It is important to understand and communicate that Moving Expenses Reimbursement is considered taxable income to the candidate during negotiations of employment and planning.



Reimbursement of moving expenses is not mandatory. It is a procedure established to assist in the recruitment of qualified candidates, and it is not expected that all new appointees will be authorized moving expenses.

The University is authorized to utilize state funding in order to provide a reimbursement for one move only. Claims and processing of such payment must be completed within one year of the effective date of appointment. Original or carbon copies of all bills of lading/receipts showing payment in full are required. Photocopies are not accepted.

The Department of Audit and Control limits reimbursement to certain actual and necessary moving and travel expenses. Generally, these expenses include moving your household goods defined as all reasonable items of furniture, furnishing, clothing, appliances, tools and equipment including necessary expenditures for handling items such as pianos. This does not include purchasing new items for your household. Not reimbursable items include the:

  • towing of automobiles and other motor vehicles, boats, farming equipment, livestock or building materials.
  • towing of belongings that are not the property of the appointee's immediate family.

No reimbursement shall be provided for household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds.

2024 Mileage Rate Change

Effective January 1, 2024, the 2024 mileage rate for moving purposes, as set by the IRS, is 21 cents per mile, down 1 cent from the rate of January 2023. 

When choosing a moving company, if a carrier is not authorized by the US/NYS Department of Transportation or the Interstate Commerce Commission, two additional competitive bids are required. To find out if your mover is certified you can use the DOT website and search by mover's name or US DOT number.


The Vice President, Dean or appointment department (depending on area) will mail a letter to the faculty/staff person to whom moving expenses reimbursement may be provided. In that letter, they shall indicate the maximum amount of Moving Expenses reimbursement payable to the individual.

After the new employee has signed the offer letter, the Vice President, Dean or department head will direct the new staff person to the appropriate forms and procedures available below.

Once the necessary paperwork is completed and signed by the faculty or staff member, original receipts should be attached and returned to the Dean's office (in the case of faculty) or the Vice Presidents' office (in the case of student affairs, administrative affairs, research or external affairs) for their review and signature. After the appropriate signature, the paperwork is forwarded to the Accounts Payable office (AD512) for processing.

Reimbursement Documentation

The reimbursement is payable from individual department budgets. Submit completed reimbursement documentation to Rose Hassett ( in the Business Office.

Additional Information