PLEASE NOTE: Sessions 1 and 2 of CAP for Teens are now closed. Please email us at email@example.com to be placed on the waiting list.
The Archaeology For Teens program is designed for students entering Grades 7-10. In addition to facility tours, classroom activities, and fieldwork, students will participate in experimental archaeology, in-depth survey and mapping techniques, and other activities tailored for this age-group.
CAP 2018 will be held at the historic Unitaria site, located in the Town of Colesville, Broome County, NY. The site is on land that was associated with the Hurlburt family. The Hurlburts were part of a troupe that trained horses for performances all over the United States. Tragically, the group along with their horses died in 1875 when the ship they were sailing on sank. Archaeological testing by PAF produced a range of domestic artifacts from the suspected house site dating from the 1840s to 1870s.Although it is not clear whether the Hurlburts lived in this house, the site has significant archaeological potential and has become an important place in local lore and oral history. CAP's investigations here will add detail to the town's memorializing of this community. To learn more, go to 2018 Research Site.
Dates: Session I*: July 9-13, 2018; Session II*: July 16-20, 2018.
Time: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Fee: $200 per participant
Location: Binghamton University - Science 1, Room 106
*minimum number of participants needed for each session to run.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN.
- CAP instructors will tailor field activities to your interests, skills, and physical abilities.
- Transportation will be provided to and from the CAP excavation site.
- Tools and materials necessary for excavation will be provided.
- Participants must bring their own lunch.
- No refunds after May 15, 2018.
- Pick up is at 4:30 pm. There is a $25 fee for late pick up (after 4:40 pm).