Guaranteed Choice of Any Major
Including Double Major and Double Degree
(See below for information on how how to drop a major or double degree)
Binghamton University Scholars are granted the privilege of choosing any major in any school or college at Binghamton. To take advantage of this guarantee, Scholars must apply no later than March 15 of the freshman year. Note that this Scholars privilege may be used only one time, and students are advised to make this decision only after first obtaining careful advice from the advising office of the desired program. If a major is not chosen by March 15 of the first year, then Binghamton University Scholars go into a program application pool with all other applicants to the desired program with no guarantee of admission to the desired major.
Those seeking to take advantage of this guarantee during the fall semester of their freshman year (so as to start the desired program in the spring semester of the freshman year) must meet with an advisor from the desired program and submit the application no later than November 15. However, decisions will not typically be made until grades from the fall semester have been submitted and reviewed. Consult with an advisor from the desired program regarding course registration prior to the advanced registration time period.
Those Scholars seeking the guarantee must meet with an advisor from the desired program prior to applying and have a GPA of 3.25 or greater at the conclusion of the fall semester of the freshman year.
1. Declaring a Major within the same school/college currently enrolled
2. Transferring: Transferring into a major in a Binghamton University School/College not currently
2. Double Degree: Pursuing two degrees from two different schools/colleges at Binghamton University (e.g. SOM/accounting and Harpur/art)
3. Double Major – Pursuing two majors from the same school/college at Binghamton University (e.g. Biology and Psychology – both in Harpur College)
Restrictions: This guarantee is contingent on:
1. Completion of SCHL127
2. GPA of at least 3.25 at the conclusion of the first semester
3. Application submitted by March 15 of the freshman year
1. Prior to applying, Scholars must first obtain careful advice from the advising office of the desired program. Scholars should see an academic advisor and relevant faculty during the fall semester to determine a strategy for possibly taking courses in the new major during the Spring semester.
Procedure to Complete the Process:
1. Speak with an advisor (mandatory) and relevant faculty from the program you are applying to.
2. The deadline to apply is March 15 of the freshman year.
3. Scholars may request a choice of major during their first semester, but typically will not be considered for entry into the desired program until grades from the fall semester are posted. Please check with an advisor from the program you are applying to for preferred application timing. The deadline to apply during the fall semester for spring semester admission to the desired major is November 15.
4. Please see the appropriate instructions below for your particular situation and follow them closely:
- Declaring a major within the same school/college currently enrolled in
- Transferring to or applying for a double degree in the School of Management
- Transferring or applying for a double degree in the Decker School of Nursing
- Transferring or applying for a double degree in Harpur, Watson, or CCPA
- Special note concerning School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science (SOPPS):
- The guaranteed first year transfer to any major in any school/college at Binghamton, does not apply to the SOPPS because students are not enrolled in SOPPS until the conclusion of the sophomore year at the earliest. However, Scholars in good standing (GPA of at least 3.25 and all Scholars required coursework completed on schedule) ARE GUARANTEED enrollment in the SOPPS at the conclusion of their sophomore year (or later), pending an interview with the SOPPS and completion of a PharmCAS application. Full details are available here.
- Dropping a major or double degree (applies to all of Binghamton's schools/colleges)