- Student boxes are for personal use only. Mail addressed to a business will not be accepted for a BU Box number. Students wishing to start/run a business can purchase an off campus mail box from the USPS or a private vendor.
- Boxes may be shared with other students, please be courteous to box mates. Problems with box mates are to be reported to the housing office.
- Mail addressed with a fraternity/sorority name and a BU Box number will be sent to the Greek Office in Campus Activities.
- Box assignments are made by the housing office. The CMS is notified of these changes daily.
- Vandalism to mail boxes will be reported to New York State University Police at Binghamton.
- Mail is to be received properly addressed with a valid BU Box # and PO Box #. Mail not meeting these criteria will be deemed undeliverable as addressed and returned to sender.
- Only mail that has an exact name and BU Box match will be placed in the students mail box.
- Mail addressed to “Student” or “Occupant” will not be delivered.
- Due to size limitations, only the most current copy of a daily newspaper will be placed in the mail box. Papers left in the box until the following day will be recycled.
- The CMS accepts parcels from the USPS, UPS, FedEx, and other private shippers except between the hours of 11 a.m. and noon and 3 p.m. to 7 a.m., Monday - Friday.
- Mail and parcels too large to be placed in the box will be held at the CMS. They can be retrieved by the addressee during regular window hours.
- Mail requiring a signature (Registered, Certified, etc.) will be held at the CMS and treated as a parcel.
- An email notification will be sent to the student when a parcel arrives. A second, hard copy notice will be sent to the mail box one week later. Parcels will be held for 14 days and will then be returned to sender as unclaimed.
- A valid BU ID card must be presented to pick up a parcel. Expired cards will not be honored. No other identification will be accepted.
- To have a student pick up a parcel for a friend they must present their BU ID plus the BU ID of the person they are assisting.
- Incoming parcels will need to be properly boxed for shelving in order for the CMS to accept delivery.
- Food, flower, and balloon deliveries from local businesses will not be accepted. The student will have to make arrangements to have those delivery people meet them at their dorm.
Broken Mail Boxes/Lost Combinations
- Lost combinations can be retrieved at the students housing office.
- Broken mail boxes can be reported at our window. We will need the box number, students name, and combination. An email will be sent when the box is fixed. This will take 24 to 48 hours.
- An email request to fix a broken box can be sent to: email@example.com Requests for lost combinations will not be answered (see above).
Forwarding of Mail
- If a student changes boxes or moves off campus first class mail will be forwarded to their current (new) address.
- Periodicals and Standard mail will not be forwarded. It is the students responsibility to contact the publisher with their change of address.
- When a student leaves the University and is no longer registered for classes, their mail will be forwarded for one semester. It is the students responsibility to change their addresses with any company or person with which they do business.
- Mail forwarded off campus will be sent to the address on file with the Registrars Office.
- Student mail will be forwarded between the spring and fall semesters (summer intercession) and during the winter intercession/holiday break.
- Students must update their permanent address with the Registrar's Office. This is the address mail will be forwarded to by CMS and/or if the University has need to send communication to the student and/or the student's parents/guardian.
OCC Mail Boxes
- OCC students can apply for a box from the start of classes in the fall until April15. The policies for other boxes on campus applies to OCC boxes.
- These boxes are for registered students living off campus. There is no charge for this service. Assignments for these boxes are made at the CMS window.
- OCC boxes are closed during the summer. Boxes can be kept open if a student is registered for summer classes and a “Here All Summer” card is filed. HAS cards are placed in the mail boxes before the end of the Spring Semester and are also available at the window.
- We reserve the right to close an OCC box that appears abandoned. A box is determined abandoned if the mail in the box has been postmarked 3 months old and older.
7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
Main window (UU-B55)
11 a.m. - 3:50 p.m. Monday - Friday
Summer hours (UU-B55)
noon - 2:50 p.m.
Personal postage (UU-B55)
11 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
Closed weekends and federal holidays
Window and operating hours subject to change without notice
Main Window (business mail and package pickup): We are located in the basement of the University Union, directly below The MarketPlace.