Binghamton University has a variety of assistive technology available for use by students with disabilities. Students authorized for adaptive technology will be provided the necessary training.
Services for Students with Disabilities provides a wide range of adaptive technologies that include:
Read & Write
- All students with a binghamton.edu email address are eligible to access Read & Write.
- Read & Write is both web-based and has a similar desktop version to allow students to access their books and documents from anywhere.
Allows students to hear text read aloud. Read & Write works with various document types including PDF, Word documents, EPUB, Google documents and other file formats.
Mac and PC version available.
Read & Write Training Information
Read & Write will require that you install it either as an extension on Google Chrome or as an application on your Windows PC or Mac computer. Below are links to video instructions.
- Installing Read & Write on Google Chrome link
- Installing Read & Write Mac for the first time
- Installing Read & Write for Windows link
- Installing OrbitNote (Formerly PDF Reader)
- How to use Read & Write on Google Chrome Link
- How to use Read & Write on Mac Link
- This link provides videos on various aspects of Read & Write for Mac.
- How to use Read & Write on Windows Link
- This link provides videos on various aspects of Read & Write for Windows.
- How to use Read & Write with Brightspace
- You can use Read & Write to have anything in Brightspace read aloud.
Screen-reading software designed for use by blind and visually impaired students.
The device that allows for magnification of reading materials
Portable Assistive Listening Units
An instructor’s voice can be amplified for a student with a hearing impairment through the use of a lapel microphone, transmitter and receiver.
A digital note-taking tool that allows you to record and play back everything you write and hear.
- For helpful information about smart pens please visit the SSD YouTube channel.
Note Taking Express
- For a note taking express trainign video please visiting the SSD YouTube channel.
- If you need a in-person training please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pebble portable magnifiers
The portable device that allows for magnification of reading materials.