Binghamton University has a variety of assistive technology available for use by students with disabilities. Students authorized for adaptive technology will be provided the necessary training.
Services for Students with Disabilities provides a wide range of adaptive technologies that include:
Read & Write
Read & Write Training Information
Read & Write will require that you install it either as an extension on Google Chrome or as an application on your Windows PC or Mac computer. Below are links to video instructions.
- Installing Read & Write on Google Chrome link
- Installing Read & Write Mac for the first time
- Installing Read & Write for Windows link
- Installing PDF Reader App
- How to use Read & Write on Google Chrome Link
- How to use Read & Write on Mac Link
- This link provides videos on various aspects of Read & Write for Mac.
- How to use Read & Write on Windows Link
- This link provides videos on various aspects of Read & Write for Windows.
- How to use Read & Write with Brightspace
- You can use Read & Write to have anything in Brightspace read aloud.
Screen-reading software designed for use by blind and visually impaired students.
The device that allows for magnification of reading materials
Portable Assistive Listening Units
An instructor’s voice can be amplified for a student with a hearing impairment through the use of a lapel microphone, transmitter and receiver.
A digital note-taking tool that allows you to record and play back everything you write and hear.
- For helpful information about smart pens please visit the SSD YouTube channel.
Pebble portable magnifiers
The portable device that allows for magnification of reading materials.