Binghamton University opened its doors as Triple Cities College in 1946 to serve the needs of local veterans returning from service in World War II. Originally located in Endicott, N.Y., five miles west of the present campus, the fledgling school was a branch of Syracuse University.
Four years later, the college was incorporated into the State University of New York (SUNY) and renamed Harpur College in honor of Robert Harpur, a Colonial teacher, patriot and pioneer who helped settle the area west of Binghamton.
In 1961, the campus moved across the Susquehanna River to Vestal. Growing enrollment and a reputation for excellence soon led to the selection of Harpur College as one of four doctorate-granting University Centers in the SUNY system.
In 1965, the campus was formally designated the State University of New York at Binghamton, and in 1992, Binghamton University was adopted as our informal name.
Binghamton University enjoys an ever-increasing national recognition for academic quality, innovative research and scholarship, and educational value. Our economic development partnerships with the community and state are strong, as are our educational outreach and service initiatives. With our growing regional presence, highlighted by the planning and on-going construction of our new Health Sciences Campus in Johnson City, N.Y., we are well-prepared to build on our role as a leader in higher education.
Binghamton University is guided by a strategic plan – the Road Map to Premier – that keeps us moving forward to achieve our goal of becoming the premier public university of the 21st century.