Every community requires qualified and dedicated teachers to prepare students for success in their subjects and in life. To meet the needs of aspiring teachers from a variety of fields and backgrounds, Binghamton University's Department of Teaching, Learning and Educational Leadership (TLEL) offers both initial and advanced certification programs in adolescence education:
- Earth science
- Social studies
Initial certification programs are intended for students who do not yet have certification to teach. They culminate in Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degrees. These programs prepare students with bachelor’s degrees who seek certification to teach students in grades 7-12 in New York State schools for initial teaching certification.
Advanced certification programs are designed for students who already hold teaching certification and lead to Master of Science in Education (MSEd) degrees. These programs combine advanced study and practice in both an academic area and in professional education, enhancing the teaching and leadership abilities of secondary school educators. Completion of this degree and other requirements leads to professional certification in New York State as a teacher of the subject area for students in grades 7-12.
4+1 degree programs in mathematics, French and Spanish are also available. These programs provide outstanding Binghamton University undergraduate students the opportunity to graduate with 2 degrees in 5 years: a bachelor’s degree in a subject and an MAT degree to teach that subject.
- MSEd in Chemistry Adolescence Education
- MSEd in Earth Science Adolescence Education
- MSEd in English Adolescence Education
- MSEd in French Adolescence Education
- MSEd in Mathematics Adolescence Education
- MSEd in Physics Adolescence Education
- MSEd in Social Studies Adolescence Education
- MSEd in Spanish Adolescence Education
- MSEd in Biology Adolescence Education
- MAT in Spanish Adolescence Education
- MAT in Social Studies Adolescence Education
- MAT in Physics Adolescence Education
- MAT in Mathematics Adolescence Education
- MAT in French Adolescence Education
- MAT in English Adolescence Education
- MAT in Earth Science Adolescence Education
- MAT in Chemistry Adolescence Education
- MAT in Biology Adolescence Education
Internships, Research Opportunities and More
Fieldwork and student teaching are important components of the program. Students will learn through direct experience of classroom settings and will gain insight into the practical aspects of school administration. Members of our faculty are experienced researchers in the diverse techniques and strategies of education, and close faculty-student interaction creates valuable opportunities for guidance and advice.
After You Graduate
This program prepares students for teaching certification in adolescence education in New York State. Employment opportunities for teachers have improved significantly over the last few years. Due to strict licensure rules, a New York State teaching license is well respected across the nation. Typically, graduates of the programs easily find employment as teachers in other states.
You may also be interested in our accelerated/4+1 degree programs which allow students to complete their bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in just 5 years!
For more information, visit the Education, Adolescence website.