Non-degree Study

Non-Degree/Non-Matriculated Study

Advance your education through the Graduate School at Binghamton University. As a continuing education student, you can:

  • enrich your knowledge base and background
  • explore a field of study before applying to a graduate program
  • take prerequisites in preparation for a degree program

You earn academic credit and receive a grade, but are not enrolled in a degree program. Non-degree/non-matriculated students may register for graduate and undergraduate classes. View the schedule of classes to see what subjects you could study. 

If you are admitted to non-degree/non-matriculated study, you will be able to register for most courses. However, some departments limit admission to certain classes. You are responsible for verifying that the courses you would like to take are available for the semester in which you would like to take them. Contact the graduate director in your academic department of interest with your specific course/registration questions.

An application fee refund is not available if the courses that you would like to register for are full or not available to non-degree/non-matriculated students.

Non-degree/non-matriculated students may defer an offer of admission by one semester.

Apply for Non-Degree/Non-Matriculated Study

Purpose for Non-Degree Study

Students interested in taking undergraduate-level classes for certification purposes must send an email to describing what courses are needed and that they are required for certification. If approved by the Graduate School, students will be notified accordingly and will be required to apply through undergraduate admissions.

Students interested in taking graduate-level or undergraduate-level (non-certification purposes) will apply through the graduate application.

Application Deadline: We encourage you to submit the online application at least one week prior to the start of the semester in which you would like to begin class(es). The online application closes on the add/drop deadline, which is the Friday of the second week of classes in the fall and spring semesters. 

Future Graduate Degrees and Certificates: If you decide later that you would like to pursue a graduate degree or certificate at Binghamton University, the Graduate School welcomes your application. Please note that admission to a non-degree/non-matriculated study does not guarantee admission to a graduate degree or certificate program. You must complete the appropriate application and then receive a formal admission offer from the graduate degree or certificate program.

Credit Limit: Non-degree/non-matriculated graduate students may take up to 12 credits total, though some academic departments and schools limit that number further. Any credits taken beyond the 12-credit limit as a non-degree/non-matriculated student will not be counted toward earning a degree, if you later matriculate into a graduate degree program. View the Graduate School Manual for details. Students who wish to take more that 12 credits as a non-degree/non-matriculated student must submit the Lifelong Learner Contract to register for additional courses.

Tuition and Fees: Non-degree/non-matriculated graduate students pay graduate tuition for graduate-level courses and undergraduate tuition for undergraduate-level courses. They pay graduate-level fees, whether they take graduate or undergraduate courses. Visit the Student Accounts website to view current rates.

Funding and Financial Aid: Students who are not enrolled in a Binghamton University graduate degree program are not eligible for funding, including graduate assistantships, teaching assistantships, or research project assistantships. There is limited federal financial aid available to non-degree/non-matriculated students. View the Graduate School Manual for details. Students who wish to apply for federal financial aid must submit the Non-Degree/Non-Matriculated Status Certification form available on the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records website.