Computer science (CS) stresses the design, analysis, implementation, management and application of large software systems, as well as systems combining both hardware and software. The Watson School offers a rich set of courses in software design, programming, hardware design and everything in between.
Students begin taking CS courses in their first semester at Binghamton and then can specialize in such areas as software systems, networking, operating systems, web-based systems, graphics, robotics, microprocessor-based design and game design. Our flexibility in choosing courses also allows students to minor in such areas as the arts, business, math, music, languages or the sciences.
- BS in Computer Science
Internships, research opportunities and more
It is extremely common for students in their junior and senior years to have paid summer internships at companies like BAE, Citigroup, Bloomberg, Amazon, as well as paid research positions at Binghamton or other universities.
Research conducted in the Computer Science Department includes:
- computer systems
- graphics, image processing, vision
- information systems
- operating systems, networking and distributed systems
Explore more research opportunities in the Computer Science Department.
Some courses to consider in your first year:
- MATH 224 - Differential Calculus
- MATH 225 - Integral Calculus
- MATH 226 - Integration Tech & Application
- MATH 227 - Infinite Series
- CS 101 - Prof Skills Ethics & CS Trends
- CS 110 - Pgming Concepts&Applic
- CS 120 - Prog & Hardware Fundamentals
- CS 140 - Prog with Obj & Data Struct
- WRIT 111 - Inquiry and Academic Writing
After You Graduate
Computer science graduates have consistent, high-quality job placement records. Companies such as IBM, Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, Amazon, Dow Jones, etc. actively recruit CS majors on campus.
CS students can also pursue advanced degrees focusing on computer architecture, computer networks, grid computing, image processing and many more fields.
For more information, visit the Computer Science website.