Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement & Actions
Systemic structural racism is antithetical to academic values and innovative science.
We, the Department of Biological Sciences at Binghamton University, whole-heartedly reject racism and will make changes to bring equality in the sciences. We recognize that our own efforts have not been sufficient and that we must identify and eliminate the biases and inequalities that deter Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) and other marginalized people from contributing to biological science communities.
We have much to learn and much work to do and it will require an ongoing and sustained effort. To create an anti-racist and anti-discriminatory environment for our students, faculty, postdoctoral associates and staff, we will establish a permanent standing departmental committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to:
- Educate faculty, staff and research and teaching mentors with anti-racist and anti-discriminatory practices;
- Create mechanisms for addressing concerns about racism and discrimination that will be safe, confidential, supportive, and accountable;
- Identify staff and faculty representatives who are versed in navigating the institutional mechanisms and offices for seeking redress;
- Amplify the voices and contributions by BIPOC and other marginalized groups in our department’s courses, discussion groups, and seminar series;
- Collaborate with biology student organizations and University-level committees to identify needs and make effective structural changes in the Department and University;
- Promote opportunities and resources to improve diversity, equity, and inclusion to members of the department;
- Strengthen diversity within the department by increasing recruitment and retention efforts specifically focused on BIPOC and other marginalized groups;
- Listen to concerns presented to us in a thoughtful manner, reflect on our role in the history of academic racism, and work to do better in the future.
Here is a link to details of our Fall action plan. This will be updated each semester.
Adopted by the Department of Biological Sciences ad hoc committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, July 8, 2020