How it works

Who can report? 

Faculty and staff

Binghamton University faculty and staff are able to enter their own activities; invite a student, faculty or staff member to proxy activities on their behalf; or proxy an activity on behalf of another faculty or staff member.


Students may enter an activity as a proxy — in other words, on behalf of a faculty or staff member.

This option is ideal for: 

  • Students in community-engaged learning (CEL) designated courses who are submitting activities completed through the course. You would identify your instructor as the activity lead.
  • Students/student groups whose activities were completed in collaboration with a Binghamton University faculty or staff member. You would identify the facutly or staff member as the activity lead.

If neither of these options apply, you can complete the Collaboratory Student Form on B-Engaged. We will enter the activity on your behalf and follow up with you to verify that the information is correct.

The B-Engaged form option is ideal for:

  • Student Association-chartered groups who have completed a community engagement or service activity
  • Other student groups who have completed activities without any partnership with faculty or staff

If you feel none of these options apply to you, contact Renae at with more information, and we will work with you to enter your activity. 

What activities can be reported? 

Engagement activities that are considered community engagement or public service can be entered into Collaboratory.  

For an activity to be eligible for Collaboratory entry, you must be able to answer "yes" to both of the following questions: 

  1. Does the activity directly relate to a public priority or issue? 
  2. Does the activity involve one or more community groups, organizations, agencies or neighborhoods? 

If the answer to either question is "no," your activity does not meet the criteria for Collaboratory. You may consider sharing your activity in other ways, such as through B-Engaged, BingUNews, annual reports, departmental reports, promotion and tenure or permanency packets, and Dateline or B-Line. 

Collaboratory will ask two additional questions to categorize your activity as community engagement or public service: 

  1. Are mutual benefits articulated by both Binghamton University and the external community group, organization, agency or neighborhood? If not, your activity is considered public service. 
  2. If mutual benefits are articulated, does the design or implementation of the activity include an exchange of knowledge or expertise with the external community group, organization, agency or neighborhood? If no, your activity is considered public service. If yes, your activity is considered community engagement. 

Where are activities reported? How do I report them, and what information is needed?

Visit the Binghamton University Collaboratory page, and log in using your BU login information. Scroll down to the section underneath the search box. If you are a faculty or staff member, click "Add Activities" in the Faculty & Staff box. If you are a student, click "Proxy Activities" in the Students box. 

The basic information needed to report an activity includes: 

  • Title, description, contact information, location(s), date(s)
  • Binghamton University units, community partners, focus areas, target populations
  • Connection to scholarship, research, courses, student involvement
  • Outputs, institutional outcomes, community impacts 

More detailed information on how to enter activities is available on the Getting Started page

When can activities be reported? 

Activities may be entered at any time, and you have the ability to enter an activity and update it if it is ongoing or an annual/recurring activity. You may also choose to enter recurring activities individually for each instance if it makes sense to do so. To determine which approach is best, contact Renae at

Why should you share your activities? 

Explore the variety of benefits for you and the University here!