The Binghamton University Student Emergency Fund grant is an award of financial assistance for currently enrolled Binghamton University students experiencing unusual and unforeseen circumstances that have caused financial demands, immediately threaten one’s academic progress and success (i.e. fire, flood, car accident), and for which there is no other source of reasonable remedy for the student.
Emergency grants are awarded on a case-by-case basis and are not intended to provide relief to a student’s recurring expenses. The awards are not loans and are not expected to be paid back.
Students should apply for consideration for funding when they have explored and exhausted all other resources, including but not limited to: personal credit, payment plans, additional student aid, community resources, personal or student loans, assistance from family and friends or other personal resources. This funding can not be used to reimburse for expenses that have already been paid by the student or on their behalf.
The fund is made possible by generous Binghamton Fund donors and is intended to provide one-time, short-term relief for students experiencing immediate financial hardship. The amount of the award is in relation to individual needs, and in most cases does not exceed $500.
Possible expenses covered by Binghamton Emergency Fund
- Medications and other costs related to emergency medical care not otherwise covered by insurance
- Replacement of essential personal items or temporary housing needs due to fire, natural disaster or similar unforeseen circumstances
- Travel costs related to death or illness in the immediate family
- The fund should not be used to cover the costs of penalties (internal or external), e.g., laboratory breakage fees, lost ID or meal cards, library fines, legal fees or jail bond.
- Meal charges, including board during school breaks or winter term, cannot be covered by these funds. If you are currently experiencing food insecurity, see a case manager about accessing the Food Pantry or about available off-campus resources.
- The fund should not be used for normal and anticipated academic expenses (books, tuition, student fees) that are standard considerations for financial assistance through the Office of Financial Aid.
- The fund may not be used for foreseeable housing expenses, such as rent or utilities, except in unusual circumstances (i.e. fire, flood).
Resources to explore
Application request for funds
Options for students to explore
|Computer||Binghamton University Property Removal Authorization|
|Credit card debt||Check with the lending institution to see if they will set up a more affordable payment plan.|
|Medication||Lourdes HOPE Dispensary|
|Money to replace parents' income||Some families may qualify for Unemployment benefits, including self-employed individuals.|
|NYC 311 (City Information)||
NYC311's mission is to provide the public with quick, easy access to all New York City government services and information while offering the best customer service. We help Agencies improve service delivery by allowing them to focus on their core missions and manage their workload efficiently. We also provide insight to improve City government through accurate, consistent measurement and analysis of service delivery.
|NYC 411 (Yellow Pages)||Find Contact Information on yourself or anyone else.|
|No health insurance|
Check with the utility company to see if they can set up a more affordable payment plan.
In order to maintain social distancing, fill out and submit the form below.
A review committee will review applications and may consult with the Office of Financial Aid prior to submitting the application packet to the fund administrator. The fund administrator may consult with the dean of students or designee prior to final decision.
Students will be notified of the outcome of their request by email and arrangements will be made for funds disbursement, usually by check. Be advised that it may take up to five business days to process funds. During the COVID-19 response every effort will be made to have checks available within five business days, however, in some cases processing may require up to 10 days.
If you need help completing the application below, email our case managers at email@example.com.