We also have a food pantry located on campus that is open to all students. Binghamton University Food Pantry. Just bring your University ID.
The student emergency fund offers a source of financial assistance for currently enrolled Binghamton University students who meet eligibility criteria and who are experiencing an unusual and unforeseen financial demand which immediately threatens the student's ability to successfully complete the semester, and for which there is no other source of reasonable remedy.
New Mamava Pod
The Union is proud to be one of the few places in our area to have a Mamava Pod! It's a private, reservable lactation space for new mothers. Located across from the Dean of Students Office — Union West 2nd Floor. To access this space, please email The Union at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 607-777-3300.
Local school districts
- The Greater Binghamton area has many great public schools. Classes run Monday through Friday, September through June, following the district calendar.
- Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) is a free option for 4-year-old children that is offered by many local schools. The Kindergarten entrance age (birthday cutoff date) is December 1.
For children who are 5 years old and younger, there are several options for daycare in the area. Two helpful resources are the Family Enrichment Network Child Care Referral and the New York State Office of Children and Family Services.
- The Campus Pre-School and Early Childhood Center at Binghamton University is for children 18 months and over. Binghamton University Students have highest priority to get into this center. Get on the waiting list as soon as possible.
- Jewish Community Center Early Childhood Center (ECC) is located near the University in Vestal for children 6 weeks and up. Get on the waiting list as soon as possible.
- Many parents in our group have used the Head Start and UPK programs offered at the Family Enrichment Network in Johnson City.
- Mom's House is a non-profit organization that empowers single parents to complete their education
by providing free NYS childcare in an environment that nurtures both parent and child.
Contact Mom's House at:
- 770 Harry L. Drive Johnson City, NY 13790
- Enjoy one of the many public parks in Broome County. Go for a hike, a swim, paddle a kayak, have a picnic, or play around on the playground. In the winter, there are options for cross-country skiing and snow shoeing.
- Go for a hike at Binghamton University's Nature Preserve.
- Family Swim hours are open to all Binghamton University students and members have the opportunity to bring their dependent children and/or spouse (significant other). Hours are offered every weekend throughout the year when classes are in session.
- The Discovery Center of the Southern Tier is an interactive children’s museum. It features 25 plus themed play-and-learn exhibits and an outdoor story garden.
- From mid-April through mid-October, visit the Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park. The zoo was opened in 1875, making it the 5th oldest zoo in the nation. Visit the mammals, birds, and reptiles that call Ross Park home.
- Check out Binghamton’s Family Fun website for even more information on child friendly activities in the community.