Complete a bachelor's degree* at Harpur College and a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree at Decker College in just five years!
- Save time: Earn your master’s degree in one year instead of two.
- Save money: Pay graduate tuition for only one year.
- Take advantage of the value: Binghamton delivers a top-notch education at a state university tuition.
- Strengthen your marketability: Graduate degrees hone job-related skills in communications, research methods, data analysis, teamwork and big-picture thinking — skills sought by employers worldwide.
- Increase your earning potential: Salaries for people holding master’s degrees are on average $10,000 higher than for those with bachelor’s degrees.
The Harpur/Master of Public Health 4+1 program allows you to take undergraduate classes for your first three years. In your fourth year, you combine bachelor- and master-level courses into your schedule and graduate with your bachelor’s degree. In your fifth year, you are admitted to the Graduate School and focus solely on the coursework to complete your master’s degree.
*The Harpur/MPH 4+1 is open to students in any Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) undergraduate major in Binghamton's Harpur College of Arts and Sciences. Students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music (BMus) are not eligible for this program.
Visit our Google drive to view (or download) the curriculum plan for this program. If you have questions, contact the MPH program director.
The Harpur/MPH 4+1 program requires a two-step application process:
- Application to the MPH 4+1 program (junior year)
- Application to Binghamton's Graduate School (senior year)
Application to the MPH 4+1 program
To be eligible to apply to the MPH 4+1 program, you must have enough room in your senior year schedule to complete your undergraduate degree AND make sufficient progress toward your MPH degree. Prior to applying, the MPH program and your Harpur major advisor(s) must have approved your degree plan. Review the process for applying to a 4+1 program.
Application to the Graduate School
When you have second semester senior standing, you will apply to Binghamton's Graduate School through the graduate program application process. To be accepted into the Graduate School as a graduate student in the MPH program, you must have made sufficient progress toward your MPH degree in your senior year.
Admissions criteria and process
It’s best to start thinking about applying to the Harpur-MPH 4+1 program early. You must inquire about pre-admission by your junior year, so you can enroll in most of the first-year master’s classes for both semesters of your senior year.
Junior year (88+ undergraduate credits at completion)
- You are on track to have completed all or the majority of:
- Your undergraduate major requirements AND
- Your general education requirements
- You must have a minimum of:
- 3.5 GPA overall OR
- 3.5 GPA in your undergraduate major and 3.2 GPA overall
- Indicate your interest in the Harpur-MPH 4+1 program and meet with Regina Alfieri, director of undergraduate student services, CCPA (email@example.com)
If eligible, after your meeting you will be instructed to submit the following:
- Personal statement (2-3 double-spaced pages) describing why you're interested in the MPH program
- Current résumé
- 2 letters of recommendation from University faculty members or instructors
If you are accepted into the MPH 4+1 program:
- In the spring, you will register for your remaining undergraduate courses
- Over the summer, the MPH Programs Office will register you for your initial MPH courses
4th year (senior/transition year)
During your fourth year (senior status), if accepted for pre-admission, you will:
- Finish any remaining undergraduate courses and complete your bachelor’s degree program
- Complete your first year MPH courses — you must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in your MPH courses
- Formally apply to Binghamton's Graduate School
- NOTE: Through this streamlined process, you will submit the online application and application fee; the MPH Programs Office will upload your original recommendation letters, résumé and personal statement to be included in your application.
5th year (graduate status)
During your fifth year (the +1 part), once accepted into the Graduate School, you will:
- Finish the remaining MPH courses in your program plan
- Complete your fieldwork experiences, including both a supervised internship practicum and a mentored capstone project
- Graduate with your bachelor's and MPH degrees in 5 years, paying only one year of graduate tuition — an excellent value