For all utility emergencies, notify Physical Facilities at 607-777-2226 weekdays and 607-777-2341 evenings, weekends and holidays. At any time, you may notify University Police 911 (from a campus phone) or 607-777-2393 (from any phone).
Evacuate the building if the fire alarm sounds and/or upon notification by authorized personnel.
A major power outage may not in itself be destructive, but may result in a panic or fire that could endanger life and property. Panic can be partially avoided by an immediate decision on the need to cancel classes or meetings in progress or to evacuate the building.
In laboratory buildings, fume hoods do not operate during a power outage and most laboratories should not be used until the ventilation is properly restored. Laboratory personnel should secure experiments or activities that may present a danger when the electrical power is off or when it is restored unexpectedly. Close sashes on fume hoods and clean up or put away chemicals. Do not perform procedures using hazardous materials until power is restored.
Flooding or Water Break
- If flooding occurs, stop using all electrical devices.
- Notify University Police by calling 911 (from a campus phone) or 607-777-2393 (from any phone) from a campus phone and evacuate the area or building.
- Cease all operations immediately and evacuate the area as soon as possible, notifying others as you leave.
- Do not switch lights on or off.
- Do not take time to open windows or close doors.
- Call University Police at 911 (from a campus phone) or 607-777-2393 (from any phone) or by using one of the Blue Light emergency phones.
- DO NOT reenter the building until cleared to do so by University Police or other proper authorities.
- If you are trapped, use the emergency phone in the elevator and/or push the alarm button.
- If you have a cellular telephone, call University Police at 911 (from a campus phone) or 607-777-2393 (from any phone). Remain calm and wait for help to arrive.
- If you discover trapped people, notify University Police at 911 (from a campus phone) or 607-777-2393 (from any phone), talk to the trapped people and try to keep them calm until an officer or other help arrives.