New Student Information and Next Steps

Welcome to Binghamton University!

Below, you will find a list of steps you must take as you prepare to begin your graduate studies. Click on each step to learn more. We also encourage you to check out our campus resources. If you are a new non-degree/non-matriculated student, please see our New Non-Degree/Non-Matriculated Students webpage.

Accept Admission Offer

Pay your admission deposit to accept your admission offer and confirm your intent to enroll at Binghamton University. The $100 (USD) admission deposit will be credited to your first semester's bill.

Note: Accelerated/4+1 degree program students should follow the instructions in their admission emails and letters. Non-degree/non-matriculated students do not need to pay an admission deposit.

Enrollment Intent and Admission Deposit


Manage Binghamton University Computer Account

You will use your Binghamton University computer account to access all online resources on campus, including the myBinghamton Portal ( The myBinghamton Portal will link you to services such as myCourses, BU Brain and QuikPAY, which will allow you to register for courses, pay your bill, access your transcripts and more. You can also use your computer account to access other services, such as public, on-campus computers and Internet connection.

You will access your computer account by logging in with your user ID and computer account password. To activate your computer account, go to the Binghamton University Password Portal webpage. Select the option "I am claiming my account for the first time," then follow the instructions. To change your password or security questions for your computer account, select the option "I know my username / password and I want to change my password," then follow the instructions. 

Once you have activated your account, configure your second factor authentication (2FA) on the Password Portal webpage by selecting the option "I know my username / password and I want to configure my second factor authentication (2FA)," then follow the instructions. Additional information about two-factor authentication, including step-by-step instructions, is available on the two-factor authentication website set up by Information Technology Services (ITS).

Binghamton University Password Portal

myBinghamton Portal

Two-Factor Authentication


Activate and Access Binghamton University Email Account (BMail)

BMail ( is your official Binghamton University email account. Since all official University communications will be sent there, make sure to check your BMail at least once each week prior to the start of the semester and more often throughout the academic year.

You will access your BMail by logging in with your user ID and BMail password. To claim your account or change your password, go to the Binghamton University Password Portal webpage. You must have activated your computer account to activate your BMail. If you have not yet activated your computer account, follow the steps above

Binghamton University Password Portal



Submit Official, Final Transcript(s)

The Graduate School requires copies of your official, final transcript(s) documenting your previous college and/or university coursework and degree conferral. If your transcript does not show that your degree has been conferred or awarded, you will also need to submit an official (attested) diploma.

This requirement applies to all enrolling students, both matriculated and non-matriculated. The Office of Graduate Admissions must receive the required documentation in a timely manner to ensure that your student record is updated. You must submit your official, final transcript(s) no later than 6 weeks after the beginning of the semester in which you start graduate studies. 

If your official, final transcript(s) showing degree conferral is (are) not received, you will be unable to register for coursework beyond the first semester. Missing such documentation may result in a rescinded admission offer or a hold on your student account and may prevent the future conferral of a graduate degree.

Official, final transcript(s) can be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions in the following ways:

  1. Request your official, final transcript(s) be mailed to Binghamton University. The Office of Graduate Admissions is unable to return transcripts submitted by mail. Do not fax or email your official, final transcript(s). To ensure timely delivery and processing of your transcript(s), please be sure your transcript(s) is (are) mailed to the appropriate address.

    For the United States Postal Service (USPS):
    The Office of Graduate Admissions
    Binghamton University - State University of New York
    PO Box 6000
    Binghamton, NY 13902-6000


    For private shippers (DHL, UPS, FedEx):
    The Office of Graduate Admissions
    Binghamton University - State University of New York
    4400 Vestal Parkway East
    Binghamton, NY 13902-6000

  2. Bring your official, final transcript(s) to the Office of Graduate Admissions in a sealed envelope. Do not open the envelope prior to arrival in the Office of Graduate Admissions. If the envelope is opened, the documents will not be considered official.
  3. If your previous institution provides electronic versions of final, official transcripts, those can be sent to, but must come directly from your previous institution.
  4. If your previous institution is a Parchment member, electronic final, official transcripts can be sent directly to Binghamton University by visiting the Parchment website and following the directions to order transcripts. Please find the Office of Graduate Admissions under SUNY at Binghamton - GRADUATE ADMISSIONS.
  5. Applicants from Chinese institutions may request and submit final, official transcripts directly through CHESICC. Requests are processed by CHESICC and will be sent electronically to Binghamton University. Go here to get started.
  6. Applicants, including Indian students, may request and submit their final, official transcript through Truecopy Credentials and will be sent electronically to Binghamton University. Go here to get started.
  7. Applicants may request and submit their final, official transcript through WES (World Education Services), or equivalent evaluations. To request your WES evaluation go here to get started.

Unofficial documents will not be accepted.


Submit Mandatory Health Forms

All students have certain health requirements. You must visit the Patient Portal to upload and submit your health requirements before you will be allowed to register for courses. For more information, visit the Decker Student Health Services Center website.

Health Insurance: There are several health insurance options available to graduate students through Binghamton University. Certain students are required to have health insurance. Review plan options, eligibility requirements and enrollment details for health insurance through the Decker Student Health Services Center. 


Obtain Graduate Student ID Card

All graduate students must have a graduate student ID card to access most campus services. If you were a Binghamton University undergraduate student, you will need to obtain a new graduate student ID card to take advantage of extended library privileges and other graduate student services.

Student ID cards are available through the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records. Students may upload their own photos in advance. Visit the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records website to learn where and when student ID cards will be issued. A valid photo ID is required to pick up a student ID card.

Arrange for Housing, Transportation and Parking

The Binghamton area offers a wide variety of affordable off-campus housing options for graduate students. Students can access free bus service to and from campus and around the Binghamton area with their student ID cards. For more information on housing and transportation, or to begin your housing search, visit the Off Campus College website. If you plan to park a vehicle on campus, learn about parking options through Parking Services.

Finalize Financing

Financial Aid: All domestic graduate students who seek federal loans or need-based tuition scholarships should file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you receive student aid, accept or decline your loans online through BU Brain. For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records.

Student Employment: To find part-time employment opportunities on and off campus, check hireBING through the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development regularly for job postings. New fall graduate students will have access after August 1.

Students with Funding: If you are a teaching assistant (TA), graduate assistant (GA), research project assistant (RPA), fellow and/or tuition scholarship awardee, you must sign and submit the award letter(s) you received with your offer(s). TAs and GAs should contact Human Resources for information regarding health insurance plans and required paperwork. RPAs should contact the Research Foundation at 607-777-4264 with questions.

Proof of Enrollment/Enrollment Verification: If you need to obtain proof of enrollment for an insurance company, scholarship program, loan company or other third party, go to BU Brain, then click on "Student Service Tools" under the "Student" tab.

Register for Courses

You will use BU Brain, Binghamton University's online student services hub, to view the course schedule, check your registration time ticket, add and drop most courses and confirm your enrollment. You may also access a public schedule of classes online through the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records.

Registration processes vary across departments, so check with your department for more information about course registration. In some departments, students register themselves; in others, the department registers students. Watch for communications from your department, graduate director or faculty advisor. 

Note: All students who have been admitted into a graduate degree-granting program must maintain continuous registration each major (fall and spring) semester for a minimum of 1 credit hour. Students who do not register and who have not been granted a leave of absence must reapply to the Graduate School and pay additional fees. Readmission is not automatic.

Note: Non-degree/non-matriculated students have different policies and procedures. Please see our New Non-Degree/Non-Matriculated Students webpage.

Obtain Textbooks

Visit the University Bookstore online or in the University Union to view the list of textbooks required for your courses and to buy or rent your textbooks. 

Attend Orientation(s)

Binghamton University offers several orientations: an orientation for new graduate students (fall only), an orientation for all international students (fall and spring), an orientation for new teaching assistants (fall only), and program-specific orientations hosted by individual academic departments (fall and spring).  View information on orientation times, locations and requirements.

Confirm Enrollment

Students are required to confirm their enrollment in their coursework every semester by the fifth day of classes. Students who do not confirm enrollment with be dropped from their courses, whether or not their bills are paid.

You will confirm your enrollment using BU Brain. View instructions on the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records website.

Pay Your Bill

Your semester bill notification will be sent to your BMail. The first semester bill notification will be sent after you have registered for courses. You may pay your tuition and fees online through Student Accounts through QuikPAY. Make sure to pay your bill by the date listed on the bill to avoid penalties. If you have questions regarding tuition, fees, billing or payment, please contact Student Accounts directly at 607-777-2702 or

Establish New York State Residency

If you need to establish New York State residency for tuition purposes (a requirement for most tuition scholarship awardees), you will need to complete the Application for New York State Residency Status/Resident Tuition and submit supporting documentation before classes start. For instructions, go to the Residency Requirements webpage on the Student Accounts website. Contact Student Accounts directly at 607-777-2702 or if you have questions.

Set Yourself Up for Academic Success

Help yourself have a successful graduate school career by being proactive in knowing and fulfilling your degree requirements. Here are some suggestions:

  • Meet with your advisor at least a couple of times per semester. Prepare an agenda. Tell your advisor about your progress, ask for feedback and discuss your career aspirations. 
  • Pay attention to deadlines. If you fail to meet deadlines you may lose time and money.
  • Check with your department about its specific requirements for satisfactory progress. Graduate programs often have requirements that are more demanding than the minimum requirements monitored by the Graduate School. Individual department satisfactory progress criteria are usually printed in the department's student handbook.
  • Consult the Graduate School Manual. There, you will find answers to questions about enrollment, academic policies, funding and other topics pertaining to graduate studies at Binghamton University.