Apply for Graduate Non-Degree/Non-Matriculated Study

Important: Before you apply as a non-matriculated student...

The non-matriculated application on this page is for graduate students only. If you are an undergraduate student, visit this Undergraduate Admissions' webpage for more information.

Thank you for your interest in graduate non-degree/non-matriculated study at Binghamton University. We look forward to receiving your application.

Use these application instructions if you have a bachelor's degree and wish to take classes without enrolling in a graduate degree-granting program. You must apply for non-degree/non-matriculated student status to take classes.

Note: If you are an international student who holds, or hopes to obtain, an F-1 or J-1 visa, you are not eligible for non-degree/non-matriculated student status.

    1. Submit the online graduate application for non-degree/non-matriculated study and your transcript(s) AFTER reviewing the schedule of classes.

      Apply Now

      • You will need a valid email address to create an online application.
      • Upload your transcript(s) to the online application.
        • Scan and upload the files with care, making sure they are clear, legible and complete. The graduate admissions committee will receive the files you scan and upload.
        • Preferred file format is PDF. Other accepted file formats include .doc, .docx, .rtf, .jpg and .tif.
        • Do not mail hard (paper) copies of any application materials unless specifically requested by the Office of Graduate Admissions.
      • Pay the $50 (USD) non-refundable non-degree/non-matriculated study application fee.
        • You can use a Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card. Your credit card bill serves as your receipt.
        • We are happy to be able to grant application fee waivers to CSTEP, EOP, HEOP, LSAMP Program, Project 1000, SEEK Program or TRIO Program (McNair Scholars Program, Student Support Services, Upward Bound, etc.) students. Please provide a certified letter from your program official attesting to your participation. Documents can be uploaded directly on the application or by emailing
        • GEM Fellowship applicants are eligible for an Application Fee Waiver until January 15th only. Submit a copy of your GEM interface homepage indicating that your overall application status is complete. Documents can be uploaded directly on the application or by emailing
        • United States Armed Forces veterans and active duty service members are also eligible for an application fee waiver. Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) or your Status Report Pursuant to Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (as downloaded from Documents can be uploaded directly on the application or by emailing them to
        • Some academic departments are able to grant application fee waivers as well. If you do not belong to any of the groups above, please review your department’s webpage for any fee waiver eligibility information. If you still have questions, or if this information is not available, we recommend you reach out to your academic department. 
        • Please note that a request for an application fee waiver may take 2 to 3 business days to process. Please wait for an email stating that your request has been approved before submitting your application. If you have any questions about this process, please contact us at
      • Submit the online application and your transcript(s). 

      Review these reminders before you apply:

      • We recommend you begin the application process at least one month prior to the start of the semester in which you would like to begin class(es). 
      • We encourage you to submit the online application and your transcript(s) at least one week prior to the start of the semester in which you would like to begin class(es).
      • The online application closes prior to the add/drop deadline, which is approximately two weeks after the start of c second week of classes in the fall and spring semesters. Applications submitted after this deadline will not be processed.
      • If you are admitted to non-degree/non-matriculated study, you will be able to register for most courses. However, some departments limit registration to certain, specified classes. You are responsible for verifying that the courses you would like to take are available for the semester in which you would like to take them. Contact the graduate director in your academic department of interest with your specific course/registration questions.
      • An undergraduate course taken by a Binghamton University graduate student appears their Binghamton University transcript and counts toward overall credit. However, an undergraduate-level course does not fulfill graduate degree requirements and does not count toward the graduate GPA.
      • An application fee refund is not available if the courses that you would like to register for are full or not available to non-degree/non-matriculated students.
      • Non-degree/non-matriculated students may defer an offer of admission by one semester.

If you are a former Binghamton University student (undergraduate, graduate or non-degree/non-matriculated) and have changed your name, file an official name change form with the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records before submitting an application.

  1. Receive your admission decision.

    Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email from the Office of Graduate Admissions. (Add "" to your email address book or contact list. Don't forget to check your spam folder!) If you have been accepted, you will also receive an admission letter.

  2. If accepted, complete the requirements for new non-degree/non-matriculated students. 

    Visit the New Non-Degree/Non-Matriculated Student webpage for more information on these requirements. You will be able to register for class(es) through BU Brain immediately prior to the start of the semester. You will be billed after you have registered for class(es).