The Graduate School Manual - Resources

Resources for Graduate Students

A variety of campus resources are available to assist graduate students. A comprehensive guide to facilities and services appears in the Graduate Student Handbook, published and distributed by the Graduate Student Organization (GSO). (This handbook is different from the Graduate School Manual, published by the Graduate School.)

For needs or problems of almost any kind, graduate students should be able to consult their graduate program director, who should be prepared to assist the students directly or to refer them to other resources on campus. Graduate directors must also be knowledgeable about any additional policies set by their programs.

The Off Campus College (OCC) is another important resource for students. 

The Graduate School office can help students find answers to almost any question. Please encourage students to contact the Graduate School office.


For TAs and GAs who are members of the bargaining unit represented by the Graduate Student Employees Union (GSEU), a health insurance plan with an annual maximum amount of $350,000 per year is provided to cover illness and injury. The State provides a contribution of 90 percent for individual coverage and 75 percent for dependent coverage. Assistants who are on at least half an assistantship and employed on a stipend of more than $4,293 per year are eligible for the benefit. To receive this benefit, eligible TAs and GAs must enroll using a form available in the Employee Benefits Office of Human Resources (AD 244).

For all other graduate students, a 12-month accident and sickness insurance policy is available through the University. Coverage for dependents is available for an additional fee. Students may purchase the insurance at any time on a pro-rata basis and, if they wish, may continue the coverage even if they withdraw from school.

Students who have no other health insurance and who are not covered by a family member's policy are urged to purchase insurance through the University. International students are required to carry University health insurance. View current rates on the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) website. Waiver of this requirement may be obtained only after evidence of comparable insurance coverage has been approved by the coordinator of ISSS

Graduate Student Conference Travel and Research Funding

Created by the GSO, the Alumni Association, and the Binghamton University Foundation, in association with the Graduate School, the Graduate Student Conference Travel and Research Fund (GSCTRF) supports individual and group travel to conferences that provide recognition to the program, the department, or the school, as well as to the individual participant. Major emphasis is on funding travel and related expenses for conferences in which Binghamton graduate students are invited participants.

Funds are also provided for research requests approved by the GSCTRF Awards Committee. While funds cannot be used for the typing or copying of doctoral dissertations, graduate students are encouraged to apply for grants to enhance their academic resources. Contact the GSO for details.


Foundation Travel Grant

The Foundation Travel Grant is awarded to graduate students in need of travel support for conferences in their field or for dissertation research.


Emergency Loan

The Binghamton University Foundation maintains a short-term emergency loan fund that allows graduate students to borrow up to $500 for a maximum of six weeks. (A small processing fee is charged.) For details or to borrow funds, contact the Binghamton University Foundation.