International students in F-1 and J-1 status are eligible for employment in certain circumstances. F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full time during breaks. Any off-campus work, including internships, requires authorization in advance. You should carefully review the information about employment options on these pages. It is your responsibility to make sure that you have the required authorization before beginning any employment.

If you have any questions after reviewing the information on this site, please do not hesitate to contact the ISSS Advising Team at intl.work@binghamton.edu. We are happy to assist you. You can also visit the ISSS during walk-in hours to meet with an advisor.

You can find many resources for your job search through the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development. The Fleishman Center also hosts a job database called hireBING, where on-campus and off-campus jobs and internships are posted. If you have questions about your eligibility for any of these jobs, please discuss this with an ISSS advisor.

On-campus Employment for F-1 Students

Curricular PraCtical TraIning (CPT) for F-1 Students 

Optional Practical TraIning (OPT) for F-1 Students

STEM OPT Extension for F-1 Students

Other Off-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

Cap Gap Extension

On-campus Employment for J-1 Students

Academic Training for J-1 Students

Work Authorization for J-2 Dependents

Social Security Number

Income Taxes