Search Target

If you have any questions after reading this information, please do not hesitate to contact the ISSS Employment Team at They are happy to assist you.
If you would like to make an appointment to discuss issues of employment, please call the ISSS office at (607) 777-2510.

Employment Articles

Employment Overview - Read this for general information and to learn how "Employment" is defined by immigration law.

Why Is It Taking So Long To Receive My OPT Work Authorization Card?

Consequences of Illegal Employment

Off Campus Work Authorization and Social Security Cards 

(back to top)

Employment Webcasts

Employment Webcasts - View Workshops On-Line!


Assistance and Advice from the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development

Completing Form W-4 and IT 2104 for your employer

Completing Form I-9 for your employer

(back to top)

Information for Employers

Sample CPT Letter Needed From Employer  

Information For Binghamton University Employers About Social Security Numbers

BU Employment Letter Template for a Social Security Number  (department letterhead must be used)

(back to top)

On-Campus Employment

On Campus Employment Regulations for F-1 Students

Possible On-campus Job Opportunities

(back to top)

Considering employment with a SUNY University or College?
Employment at a SUNY university or college that is not Binghamton University is considered off-campus employment. If you are in F-1 status you must apply for and receive the appropriate authorization, usually Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT), from the ISSS before you begin any employment activity at a different SUNY university or college. Students in J-1 status must also request written authorization from the ISSS. Remember: any position at the SUNY campuses in our regional area: SUNY Cortland, SUNY Oneonta, SUNY Morrisville, Broome Community College or any other State University of New York institution is off campus employment. If you have questions please contact ISSS staff BEFORE you begin the employment.

 Curricular Practical Training for F-1 Students

Frequently Asked Questions About Curricular Practical Training

U.S. Regulations Governing Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for F-1 Students

Student's Checklist : Applying for Curricular Practical Training

Academic Advisor's Form for Curricular Practical Training

Sample CPT Letter Needed From Employer

(back to top)

* Don't forget - you are required to register for at least one course credit that reflects your CPT during each semester (or equivalent time period during the summer) of the CPT employment. This is necessary for a paid or unpaid internship. This one credit is part of your required full time course registration (or full time equivalent course registration)

DO NOT Begin your position until you receive your new I-20 for CPT!

Please note: Applying for CPT authorization is not the same as being authorized to begin the paid or unpaid position you have been offered. You are not authorized to begin your position UNTIL you have the new I-20 for CPT in your possession, and the start date on the I-20 has arrived.

It is necessary for you to be very careful to obey the federal immigration regulations governing CPT. If you have any questions about when you can begin your paid or unpaid position please ask ISSS staff.

Initial Optional Practical Training for F-1 Students

In this section of the website, you will find the federal immigration regulations governing Optional Practical Training (OPT), the necessary forms to apply for OPT and instructions on how to apply. 

Information and Guidelines

Deadlines and Requirements for a Successful OPT Application

Frequently Asked Questions About OPT for F-1 Students

OPT Fact Sheet for F-1 Students

OPT For “Course Complete” Students

SEVIS Responsibilities for Students on OPT

Optional Practical Training and Travel

F-1 Students: Be Prepared While Traveling on OPT
(linked with permission of the Murthy Law Firm)

Counting Days of Unemployment

Kinds of Employment Allowed Under OPT

Checking the Status of Your OPT Application On-Line 

(back to top)

Forms and Instructions

Student Checklist: Applying for Optional Practical Training

Application for Optional Practical Training

Determining Your OPT Start Date

Form G-1145

Form I-765 (for F-1 Students)

Sample Form I-765 for Post-Completion OPT - Use If You Do Not Yet Have a Social Security Number

Sample Form I-765 for Post-Completion OPT - Use If You Already Have a Social Security Number

Important Information On USCIS Photo Requirements

OPT or Academic Training  Health Insurance Enrollment Form

Add OPT Employment

(back to top)

NOTE: It will take approximately 3 months for USCIS to process your OPT application and issue the EAD card. You cannot begin work nor training for a position until the EAD card is in your hand. The application deadline is within sixty days following your degree completion date, but it is strongly advised that you apply earlier to allow sufficient time for your EAD card to be processed.

  STEM OPT Extension for F-1 Students

STEM OPT Eligibility

Kinds of Employment Allowed Under STEM OPT Extension

STEM OPT Extension Application Student Check List

STEM OPT Extension Application Form

Form G-1145

Form I-765

Sample Form I-765 for STEM OPT

Upload STEM OPT Extension EAD Card

Add OPT Employment

(back to top)

Off-Campus Employment

Off Campus Employment Based on Economic Hardship for F-1 Students

Employment for J-1 Students and their J-2 Dependents

SEVIS Responsibilities for Students on Academic Training

Authorization of J-1 Student On-Campus Employment

Employment Rules for J-1 Students

Academic Training for J-1 Students

Academic Advisors Recommendation Form for J-1 Academic Training

J-2 Work Authorization

J-2 Work Authorization Checklist

(back to top)

Going Global, An Internet Job and Career Resource

Going Global, An Internet Job and Career Resource

Employment Links

Employment Links

Eligibility for Social Security Number

Eligibility for Social Security Number

(back to top)

Last Updated: 1/4/19